Dawg dad caters to Austin South by Southwest festival

Caitlin Worthington, Dispatch Reporter

Austin’s famous South by Southwest festival brings many different artists, venues, and fans together to gear up for the fun. This year, the festival ran from Monday, March 11 to Sunday, March 17, mostly in downtown Austin.

For Bryan Baugher, sophomore Tipton Baugher’s father, this means getting his catering equipment ready to serve all the thirsty guests.

“My dad sells drinks at Auditorium shores during SXSW, which can lead to a pretty crazy and high stress spring break,” Tipton said.

Bryan is the co-owner of the wide-scale G&M catering company.

“I’ve been catering a number of different events for 25 years now, and I’ve been catering at SXSW for 22 years now,” Bryan said. “SXSW is a great event because we get so much more exposure than we normally would at other events.”

In addition to SXSW, G&M catering works a bit at the Austin Rodeo during spring break, serving food and drinks to hungry and thirsty customers.

“During a typical workday, in any other normal week, I’m at the office,” Bryan said. “[However,] during SXSW, I’m running all over the place from downtown to the rodeo [and then] back to the office trying to make sure everything is running smoothly,”

However, when events get busier, G&M catering company has some helpers ready on deck.

“SXSW is normally super busy since it’s such a big event,” Tipton said. “My dad usually leaves early and doesn’t get home until the middle of the night during SXSW, so sometimes my family and I will work at SXSW or the Austin Rodeo to help out in any way that we can.”

According to Tipton, high school employees can have a hard time balancing work with school.

“This year I had to go immediately to work after school, [even though] in past years SXSW lined up with our spring break,” Tipton said. “So I go straight after school and help cater.”

G&M catering has a set schedule that they follow most days. 

“Typically we get there, set up equipment, and make sure that there are enough product[s] at all the booths,” Tipton said.

Tipton also has a job at a store in Barton Creek Square Mall called Francesca’s.

“I really like that I’ve had the opportunity to work in different locations and [also] for the experience,” Tipton said. “[Working at both places] is a really great experience that a lot of high schoolers don’t get.”

G&M catering won’t be the only company with new customers over SXSW this year either.

“I work at ‘Hey Cupcake’ off of Barton Springs road, and we have already been so busy [due to the SXSW fans],” senior Angelle Guilbeau said. “It’s definitely really busy hours, but tips are great.”

Although South by Southwest can be a stressful time for those working it, the process comes with some benefits, especially for the Baugher family.

“Since my dad sells all the drinks at Auditorium shores during SXSW, I get passes to see all the shows, which makes for a really fun spring break,” Tipton said.

This year, SXSW will host musical artists such as the DC punk group Priests and Swedish rapper Yung Lean.

“I really enjoy being able to listen to the music and work,” Tipton said.

The experience extends beyond the Baugher family, too.

“This year I get to bring friends which I’m really excited about,” Tipton said.

According to Tipton, the G&M catering team is a group of highly motivated people.

“I really like getting to know everyone every year,” Tipton said.

Although Guilbeau wasn’t able to land free passes with Tipton, she has experienced a diversity of people at SXSW, which she believes is rewarding enough.

“I’ve had people come up to buy a cupcake from all over the country,” Guilbeau said. “I met a couple that drove all the way down from New York for the event, which was pretty cool.”

No matter how busy things get, according to Tipton and her family, South by Southwest is a week to remember.

“[The experience] is always so much fun,” Tipton said. “I think it’s a good way to spend my break.”