First lunch is too early

Joe Morales

Bowie’s first lunch begins at 11 am, and it tends to leave students hungry as soon as the final bell rings.

Izzy Rejino, J1 Reporter

With school starting at 9:00 and first lunch starting at 10:58, many students, including myself, do not like having first lunch. Many students aren’t hungry after having just one class period and FIT because they had just had breakfast.

I have first lunch for both A and B days, and I am never hungry during it. I always pack a good lunch, but I end up not eating very much because I am not hungry at 10:58. Since I eat breakfast not too long before I eat lunch, I am just never hungry.

If I don’t eat very much lunch during first lunch, then by the time I get to my last period I am very hungry. Some students teachers may not let them eat in class, even when they’re hungry. When students are hungry, they may not be able to focus during class because they will focus on their hunger instead.  

When I get home from school, I am always hungry. When I ask my parents what is for dinner, they ask me what I had for lunch. I tell them that I didn’t eat very much because I wasn’t hungry, and then they just tell me to eat more during lunch. This is just another reason why first lunch is too early.

Most of my friends have second lunch, and they love it. They eat lunch at around 12:34, which is a normal lunch time for most people. They are usually hungry by the time they get to lunch.

By the time they get to their last period, they may want a snack, but they aren’t as hungry as people who have first lunch. I think that this is unfair because students can’t choose what lunch they have.

Students who have second lunch also have a balanced schedule, which many students like. They have two periods, then lunch, then their two last periods. Students who have first lunch have one periods, then lunch, then three periods.

Since Bowie is such a large school, I do understand why it needs two lunches. I think that instead of changing the whole lunchtime, they should allow students to make a suggested lunch period. Some students like having first lunch, but a lot of students think that first lunch is too early.  

I think that first lunch is just to early because students are not that hungry since school just started. When it is the end of the day, students with first lunch are usually very hungry and wish they had second lunch.