Lunch food prices rise above quality

Marisa Salazar

Junior Kaitlyn Luu orders her lunch from the Bowie cafeteria, which some students have dubbed to be too expensive.

Marisa Salazar, Features Editor

Even though popular culture has made it a fad to complain about the taste of the lunch food, my disdain lies with the prices I had to pay for the lunch food in the cafeteria. I cannot emphasize enough that I completely respect and value what the lunch ladies do, because I know that it must not be easy to make so much lunch food and have to dish it out to ravenously hungry teenagers. However, I am upset that the price accompanied with the meals do not reflect the quality of the food students are receiving.

I would put forty dollars in my lunch account, and this amount would only last about two to two and a half weeks. I can begin to understand this, because I would always get extra food because the regular portions were never enough to hold me over till the end of the day. Also, I wouldn’t even eat lunch in the cafeteria every day of these two weeks, but somehow my lunch account would quickly drain away. I began to think that someone had access to my lunch account, but this was not the case and thus my distaste for the prices began.

As of January 2019, I have stopped putting money in my lunch account. I would be open to start using the cafeteria again if they lowered the food prices to match the quality and amount that is provided to the students. Or, if the food became better and the quality mirrored the money they charge but this would be difficult as mass production increases, quality is bound to decline. Overall, because of the lunch food prices I have ended my relationship to mediocre and minimal school meals until a noteworthy change is made.