Project Student Body mentors struggling students

Senior Sarah Martin works with elementary kids to help improve math skills. Project student boy incorporates fun activities to enhance learning.

Senior Sarah Martin realized she wanted to dedicate the rest of her life to improving the lives of others  after returning from Costa Rica where she was an exchange student.
“After living in a country where the students didn’t have the opportunities that I did, I felt a great desire to do my part in changing that,” Martin said. “On the flight back, I came to the conclusion that I needed to start with my community, and then little by little branch out.”
Martin created Project Student Body, an organization that promotes the importance of education through mentoring and tutoring elementary school students
“The main focus of the program is working with kids on a variety of different educational activities,” senior Megan Tran said. “The kids have fun while they are learning, and so do we.”
Through tutoring kids from Williams Elementary school this past year whom need assistance with mathematical and reading concepts, the group hopes to enrich tomorrow’s leaders through education.
Martin believes that Project Student Body has given the students the tools to make a better life for themselves.
“It is my highest goal to see them turn around and that they will turn around and share everything they have learned with others,” Martin said.
While enhancing the students’ academic abilities, the Martin believes that the group has become friends with the students as well.
“On the last day with working with Williams Elementary School, one of the girls I had been mentoring was going through a rough time,” Martin said. She decided to call me over and share with me what was going on. It was touching to know that I was not only her tutor, but someone she trusted. It is moments like this that, make me know how important it is to be in this organization.”
Martin hopes that this is the first step to dedicating her life to helping others.
“I want to be a volunteer doctor and treat patients on every continent,” Martin said.
The group’s next project collaborates with the Austin Public Library.
“Our goal is to design a reading program to present to children at the library,” Tran said. “We are currently in the process of creating the project, and hopefully in the upcoming months we will be able to start presenting the program in libraries across Austin.”
Martin hopes pass down Project Student Body to an aspiring student after this year.
“I hope to start more branches of Project Student Body,” Martin said. “I want to plant seeds everywhere I go and encourage others to join in on the fun.”