Fall Shows: Setting the stage for the year

Kateri Jaquette, Dispatch Reporter

Have you seen any witches roaming the halls after school? How about scottish noblemen? Well don’t be alarmed because it’s just the cast and crew of this years fall shows. Bowie’s ‘Starlight Theatre Company’ performed a collection of classic Shakespeare works with productions of Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, and Richard III to kick off their year.

With two weekends of very successful performances, it is obvious how much time and effort that is put into these productions. Junior Maya Armand, a returning STC member, has been spending hours working with the rest of her cast on this years production of Macbeth.

“Auditions were on August 27th and rehearsals started on the August 30th so we have been working on these shows for about 2 months.” Armand said “The fall shows are probably one of our larger show blocks.”

While the rehearsal block is long, senior Kaedon Solana views this time as an opportunity to begin the year establishing friendships and community.

“My favorite part of fall shows is that it is a lot of people’s first show” Solana said “It’s so fun to meet new people and see people I’ve never met getting excited about theatre, it is truly an amazing community.”

Although many of the cast members are returning Bowie students, there is a large group of freshman who get their first taste of high school theatre during the fall show block. The upperclassman enjoy getting to know the underclassmen.

“I love getting to work with new people in every show block and getting to know the freshman better.” Armand said “We all become super close during the process.”

Fall shows are not only an opportunity for the theatre community to grow closer, but also the students and faculty of Bowie. Many teachers and other administration have attended or plan to attend these shows to see their students talents in action. Softball coach and history teacher Karl Lauer plans to attend this weekend in support of his students.

“I love seeing my students being able to show off their talents” Lauer said “I don’t think I have ever been to a show here that I haven’t enjoyed.”