Student design goes for a tasteful drive

Junior Julia Krebs’ graphic design submission chosen for popular Food 4 Thought trailer

Peter Dang, Sports Editor

The bell rings and students fill the hallways, rushing to lunch. Walking across the courtyard, a new food truck is there. Not Nacho Average, but Food 4 Thought. Similar yet different, the new food truck is the second food truck created by the district.

Junior Julia Krebs designed the exterior of AISD’s second food truck. Her winning design was selected out of her 75 classmates.

“We were looking for a school to design the second food truck theme to accompany the Nacho Average Food Truck,” AISD Nutrition and Food Services Marketing Specialist Lindsey Bradley said. “We chose the graphic design program at Bowie after learning about the project they completed for the Baylor, Scott & White Clinic on Twitter.”

Graphic Design teacher Judith Cooper was contacted by Bradley during the last weeks of the 2017-2018 school year to design the new food truck. Cooper called the project Nacho Average assignment, referring to the first food truck designed by Anderson High School students. For the Graphic Design 1 students, this was their first opportunity to get their work published.

“Julia was an amazing student she had a lot of creativity,” Cooper said. “She also had a lot of energy and enthusiasm for graphic design.”

Krebs’ passion for graphic design started in her sophomore year. She hopes to continue doing graphic design as a hobby, and is considering making her passion a career.

“I am proud of this project,” Krebs said. “I was really proud of the slogan I came up which was healthy food to fuel strong minds.”

In addition to coming up with the slogan, Krebs came up with the name of the truck, “Food 4 Thought.” She is particularly excited that her project will be seen almost every day by different students.

“I did not know I won until after they wrapped the food trucks,” Krebs said. “I thought it was cool, I was surprised because I forgot about it.“

Krebs and her fellow graphic design students only had the last two weeks of school to create their food truck design. The students didn’t know who won until after summer ended and the truck was wrapped. For Krebs, it was a surprise that her design was chosen.

“I learned how professionals do graphic design,” Krebs said. “There were a lot of very specific requirements.”

Similar to graphic design projects in the professional world, AISD had certain requirements designers had to meet. The designs had to include the AISD logo in two places, a unique name, and a unique slogan. More than that, the design had to promote healthy eating.

“I thought it was a really good idea, design starts with a good idea,” Cooper said. “It was exciting to see something one of the students thought of in three dimensions.“

Kreb’s slogan was such a good idea that Cooper had other students use it  in their designs as well. Krebs hopes to keep doing graphic design on her own, as she did not have room in her schedule to fit Graphic Design 2.

“I think that it’s great to have a variety of food trucks like variety in the lunch line,” junior Aidan Gunter said. “I think Nacho Average is too cheesy.”

Students like Gunter believe that having a second food truck which gives students more food choices is a great idea.  Some believe that variety is the spice of life. An increase in food choices means that AISD nutrition is able to cater to more students.

“We came up with a unique menu that students won’t find in the cafe,” Bradley said. “We got lots of student feedback to figure out what they liked.”

Food 4 Thought’s menu will include scratch cooked hamburgers, pizza burgers and veggie burgers topped with spinach and mushrooms. The menu also includes an Asian BBQ Chicken Sandwich, all entrées will be served with sides including coleslaw, potato salad and fresh fruit.

“They were all very creative,” Bradley said. “But our team felt the Food 4 Thought theme tied food and education together very well.”

Creativity was the number one requirement from AISD, as a unique and memorable food truck was their goal. AISD Nutrition’s has many goals including teaching students healthy eating habits as that they can carry throughout life. Nutrition is one of the most important aspects of well being for a student.

“Food 4 thought and Nacho Average Food Truck are on different schedules the year,” Bradley said.  “We wanted the trucks to visit more schools.”

Both trucks will be making repeated stops at Bowie throughout the year, unlike last year when the Nacho Average truck was at the school every Friday. Food 4 Thought will be visiting Bowie Oct. 2 and 25, as well as Nov. 16. Nacho Average will be stopping at Bowie Oct. 11, Nov. 6, and Dec. 4.

“Congratulations to Julia,” Cooper said. “Congratulations to Bowie, congratulations to the whole graphic design program.