Volunteers strive to make differences

Senior Edeline Ong remembers when she first volunteered with her mother at the food bank in Kyle, TX.

“When I volunteer at places like the food bank, by giving out food to the less fortunate, seeing the smiles on their face is such an amazing feeling that you can have after waking up at five in the morning just to volunteer,” Ong said.

Students have the ability to join student-run organizations on campus dedicated to volunteering such as Key Club, Red Cross Club, and National Honor Society.

Key Club is a student-based organization that makes an impact on the community by preforming acts of service. With 217 members, the club was awarded for the 75% increase in membership, for participating for the eliminate project and BRO project, and paying their dues on time. Key Club volunteers at local organizations, marathons, and at elementary schools.

“I volunteered at Brown Santa last year,” Ong said. “We wrapped four or five gifts for each kid in a less fortunate family, where the parents couldn’t afford to buy them Christmas gifts. Me and some other Key Club members spent our morning in a cold warehouse wrapping all kinds of toys. It was very cold, but we kept going until it was time for us to go. That morning was definitely well spent by having our fingers almost turn another color because we got to help out the less fortunate kids by getting presents to them from Santa.”

National Honor Society is an organization composed of students that have a cumulative grade point of a 3.75 and have an outstanding performance in scholarship, service, leadership, and character according to the official site of the National Honor Society and the National Junior Honor Society.

NHS presidents Rachel Jones and Brooke Oliver have planned to set up bingo nights at Emeritus retirement home and other service opportunities at elementary schools.

“We would like to make NHS more than just people serving the community, but make it a family of closely knit friends who have fun together and truly enjoy giving back to their community,” Jones said.

During Jones’ eighth grade year, she created an eight-month long initiative to create a plastic/aluminum recycling program in their middle school cafeteria with two other girl scouts. Through public service announcements and guides for other schools to follow in their lead, they saved 117 pounds and 17.95 cubic feet recyclable material per day.

“Our program was so successful that it won first place in the Keep Austin Beautiful Youth Scouting award and second place in the Keep America Beautiful Youth Leadership award,” Jones said. “Anyone can make a difference in their community with a little effort and something to be passionate about.”

Some students volunteer with organizations outside of the campus. Junior Lauren Laird volunteers with Austin Stone Church in the kids department and for the Thomas Write Homeless Ministry downtown.

“I love being able to help the homeless at Thomas Wright,” Laird said. “On Saturday afternoons I am able to serve a meal and just let the struggling families know that they’re still cared about.”

Laird remembers helping an elder woman that was escaping an abusive relationship at the Thomas Wright Ministry.

“She had decided to come back [to the Homeless Ministry], knowing that the entire volunteer team would be there to back her up,” Laird said. “This experience made my work feel significant.”

Oliver volunteers for her church, Vacation Bible School (VBS) and Emeritus retirement home aside from serving the campus.

“I’ve showed the teachers and staff at Bowie how much they are cared for through teacher breakfast and luncheons,” Oliver said.

Oliver remembers setting up for a birthday party for a woman with Alzheimer’s.

“[Since she had Alzheimer’s] I didn’t know the last party she remembers having or the last one thrown for her,” Oliver said. “It was sweet to see her enjoy it especially when her life is full of suffering and staying put in the nursing home.”

With the service hours required for Boy Scouts, senior Thomas Demopoulos began to volunteer his sophomore year with the Capitol Area Food Bank and Blue Santa.

“Even after I had the amount of hours I needed, I still went back to volunteer,” Demopoulos said. “It is a good way to give back to the community and it makes me feel good knowing that I am helping people who may not be able to help themselves. I know my service brings smiles to the people who benefit, myself, and God.”

Volunteering at the food bank about once every quart due the food bank being packed, Demopoulos sorts, inspects, label, and packages food that goes toward hunger relief programs.

“There is an attitude in the air of the warehouse of cooperation and teamwork,” Demopoulos said. “All of the volunteers are so happy working for the benefit of others. It is an experience like no other when you know you’re helping people.”

Ong believes volunteers can generate a better community.

“Others should volunteer because after serving your community, you will have a sense of satisfaction that you can’t get from other places,” Ong said.