Staff Goodbyes: Violet Glenewinkel

Violet Glenewinkel, Editor-in-Chief

Seventy years from now when I’m in my rocking chair amongst my loved ones, reading Harry Potter and reminiscing my young years to grandchildren, I’m not going to tell them high school was the best years of my life. Because it wasn’t, it was life. With some of my best and most difficult moments, and some of the most intense love and hurt I’ve ever experienced, high school was my first real wake-up call to reality. All within these few years I lost people I loved, fell in love, discovered the value of my intense empathy, and discovered my true self.

My experience through my school career wouldn’t have been as impactful without the numerous hearts and minds that have deeply affected me. I’d like to start with the most important person in my life- my mother, Jill, for being the strongest, most beautiful woman I have ever known. You have bones of steel and the heart of a warrior with a never-ending love and passion for me. I want to thank my father, Mark, for supporting me and teaching me what it means to be a leader. To my brothers, Jaxson and Willem, for toughening me up with their teases and sarcasm. And to the rest of my family, the endless support and love from you means the world to me. Thank you and I love you all.

To my closest friend and boyfriend, Joel, I love you more than I could ever express. So far, 2017-2018 has been the best time of my life because of you. To Mia Barbosa, my best friend, you are the brightest light in my life! I don’t know what I would do without you. To Kendall Franz, Elijio Salas, Keara McGraw, and Grace Buffler, I am so thankful for the precious moments we spent together through these past years growing up. I will always cherish those times and I love you and care for you.  And my whole Dispatch Staff who has stood by me, WE DID IT! Second best in the nation! Thank you.

And of all of the teachers who have affected me, I’d like to thank Mr. Reeves for becoming one of my best buds and biggest supporters, Mr. and Mrs. Pfeiffer for expanding my horizons in my passion for literature, Mr. Flick and Mrs. Shumate for introducing me to new ways of thinking, and Ms. Rolfe, my bad ass and good friend. You all are the reason I got myself to school everyday and enjoyed class more than most teenagers.

And to my twin sister, watching from above, I live my life through you.

I move forward as a stronger, more confident, and wiser young woman because of all the above people mentioned. I love you, I love you, I love you.