Staff Goodbyes: Avy Friedman

Avy Friedman, Commentary Editor

All of high school, I was so ready to graduate but with only days left, I’m stuck reminiscing over all the memories and bonds I’ve made, not ready to leave quite yet. There are so many people who’ve made my time at Bowie so meaningful. Simple moments like late night study sessions, off period adventures, and car rides with the music too loud allow me to look back at high school in such a positive light. I wish there was a way to thank every single one of my friends because they’ve all impacted my life more than they realize.

All of my teachers have been incredibly supportive and influential over the years. Specifically, I want to thank Mrs. Flick and Madame Tennen because these women have given me the inspiration to be driven, genuine and compassionate in everything I do. They always took time to listen to me and cared beyond academics.

I’d also like to thank Mr. Reeves for being such an amazing mentor all four years. As a timid freshman who had no clue what was happening, he saw my capabilities before I did. He taught me the leadership skills I needed to succeed along with how to professionally voice my opinions. His newspaper class introduced me to an amazing group of girls that I’m proud to call my friends. Traveling the country and spending countless stressful Saturdays together will really do the trick.

Thank you to the band program. Without marching band, I’d never be able to say I’ve been at Bowie at 3 am on a Sunday or marched in the London New Year’s Day Parade. I’ve dedicated hundreds of hours to band and every hour was so worth it. Band not only introduced me to some of my closest friends, but also gave me an expressive and creative platform.

Because of Bowie, I’ve been able to leave a mark through performing in a crazy amount of band performances and creating Kindness Day with my best friends. Also, as the editorial writer and commentary editor, newspaper has given me the platform to speak out about issues I’ve very passionate about.

I’ve definitely had many low moments and by no means, will these be the best four years of my life but that doesn’t mean I can’t look back at my time at Bowie as a wonderful growing experience. It’s finally time for us to move onto bigger and better things but it’s also important that we hold onto all of these experiences, good and bad, as they’ve shaped us to be who we are. 

Andy from the Office worded it best when he said “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them”.