How to Adult: Moving Out

How to Adult: Moving Out

Ashley Barber, Staff Writer

Leaving the nest, fleeing the coop— whatever you may call it— moving out is a big step in any teenager’s life. Except, how do you do it? Moving away from the people who taught you how to tie your shoes and ride a bike is no easy task; it requires extensive planning and responsibility. However, for freshly graduated high school seniors this can be a daunting task given that they have been relying on their parents for 18 years. Before you embark on your exciting adventure into adulthood, you need to know the basics of living on your own.

CHOOSING A PLACE: When choosing a new location keep in mind how much everything costs. Like the gas, rent, taxes, and utility services such as water and electric. Another thing to consider is the mortgage or rent on the place you’re looking at. Talk with your parents and figure out if they are going to help you pay your down-payment. If they do loan you money, you will need them to send a letter allowing you to use their money. Be careful of a low down-payment, the less you pay up front the more you pay monthly.

BUDGETING BILLS: Budgeting for bills is simple; first, find out how much income you are making a month, then figure out how much you are spending and on what. Then based on that information, set aside some money that can pay for utilities and rent. Before you move out start saving up some money, just in-case something were to happen. You should also pay close attention to your taxes. Check with your parents to see if you’re still on their tax plan before you move.

INSURANCE: Renters insurance protects personal possessions, liability, and additional living expenses. This insurance protects personal belongings from damage. Keep a list of the approximate cost of your possessions to see how much insurance you need. Liability covers if someone gets hurt on your property. Additional living expenses covers you if something were to happen to your house. Then they would pay for temporary rentals, hotel bills, and meals while your house is being rebuilt or fixed.

PACK IT UP: When moving get rid of that “maybe” pile the more time that the item sits in the maybe pile the more attached you will get to it, think either yes or no. Remember to donate, try to find a place near you that takes donations. Everyone starts their life living with their parents. When buying the basics to living alone, always have a reason for buying it. Only buy what you need so that you can make money.