SXSW is back

SXSW Facebook

SXSW concert in 2015

Ellie Coulston, Social Media Editor

South by Southwest, SXSW, is annual music festival since 1987 that happens in downtown Austin, Texas. From March 9 to March 18, around 300,000 people came into Austin to see the performers and artists.  

“SXSW is such an amazing event and it is one of my favorite events of the year. There are so many different types of people that show up and so many different things to see,” sophomore Riyo Adler said.

SXSW is an opportunity for sessions, showcases, screenings, exhibitions, and a variety of networking opportunities. Exhibitions such as Job Market, Flatstock, SXSW Marketplace, SXSW Wellness Expo, and SouthBites are free and showcase a variety of businesses around the world.  

“There is so much you can go see at SXSW, there is music and gaming and comedy and it’s such a great collaboration of different things, so there is definitely something for everyone,” Adler said.  

With 2,000+ performers from 63 different countries; bars, clubs, parks, churches, hotels, and more sites in Austin were filled with showcasing artists.

“I’m so grateful to see different people from everywhere. I’ve met bands from all over the US to bands from the middle eastern. Rather than just big, popular bands, there are also small bands, who just by attending SXSW, become more well-known,” Junior Madeline Tello said.

There are many performers who came to SXSW such as Billie Eilish, The Outfit, and Bishop Briggs. There is a great variety of bands and people who show up to SXSW.

“My best memory would be meeting the band, Wallows, and having and actual conversation with them,” Tello said. “Also, when everyone in crowd would move and sing together, we felt like family. I’ve met so many people and have discovered tons of talented bands.”

Many diverse people from all around the world come to see the several festivals being showcased. Those being Interactive, Music, Film, Comedy and Gaming festivals. Celebrities and actors come for premieres of shows and movies.  

“I saw Dylan Minnette, A.K.A Clay Jensen from 13 Reasons Why. I also met the rest of the band from Wallows. They are so nice and welcoming,” Tello said.

With so many people coming to Austin, the city fills up fast and gives locals mixed feelings.

“I love South by Southwest and the performers are really cool and I think it is a great experience, but our city always gets really gross and traffic is awful. It makes Austin terrible to live in for a brief period of time,” Adler said.