App of the week: Hoppenhelm

Ella Wright

Sophomore Liam Connally attempts to beat his own high score on Hoppenhelm.

Robbie Warhola, Online Writer

This week’s app of the week is a free game known as Hoppenhelm! I found this game through a promotion on the front page of the app store. I instantly found myself addicted. The need to further collect more characters and new items to further my simple questing was there.

The game had fairly simple gameplay, there are three buttons, one for attack, one to move up a space/jump, and the third was a shield for blocking enemy attacks. Earbuds in, I was entranced by the 8-bit soundtrack that played in the background as I slayed slimes and made my way through the endless dungeon. There are a ton of characters that are unknown until you unlock them, and I kept going and going through the dungeon collecting coins in order to unlock these new heroes that would help me beat my previous high score.

As I got further and further each time, I found that not only do the monsters get progressively stronger, but the need to collect coins got stronger and stronger as well. In addition, after every run, I felt that I had to keep going to beat my high score. Each run left me feeling that I could do so much better. The addiction is definitely there, keeping me playing on end. As a free game that just narrowly caught my glance, I can say that this app is staying on my phone for awhile due to its simple gameplay and addictive formula.