Electives Impact the Students

Ellie Coulston, Staff Writter

When I leave Bowie High School I have my whole life to live. I have things I need to know and learn. I don’t believe that high school curriculum is teaching us the important lessons that high schoolers should be learning.

I get the core classes and how their information helps us in real life situations. But, the electives have a big impact on what students want to do with their lives.  There are many electives that focus on the few following subjects; art, athletics, theater, band, orchestra, and photography/ writing. Don’t get me wrong, I live for my newspaper class and I would like to pursue a career in a journalistic field, but other students don’t have the same interests as me. A lot of people I know want to pursue careers in other fields that are not offered at Bowie. There is one “money matters” class at Bowie but I know people who want to go  into accounting and medical fields other careers along those lines. There are clubs that offer those sort of interests but not everyone has the time or accessibility to join these. I believe that we should open our school up to new electives. There could be trouble hiring more staff, but I know there are plenty of people who are looking for teacher jobs, and each course can hold its own fundraiser.

Another issue with lack of options is a wide variety of students try to pursue a career in theater or athletics and don’t get the find of jobs they need in their future. They end up working as a Mickey Mouse at Disney Land, and hey, if that’s your dream to work at a theme park- go for it. I don’t disagree that students should discard the interests that they have, but they should pursue them as hobbies and not careers. We don’t learn about how to do taxes and how to find a stable career, and I know a counter argument could be “The students should learn about that in college” but not everyone goes to college, or even has that as an option to them- but they should still be aloud to have the opportunity to have the same education as everyone else. I think it is important to have a diverse course selection for all of our students to have an equal chance at pursuing their careers.