Peer tutoring rewarding opportunity for students

Justine Lockhart, Online writer

There are many students at Bowie that struggle in their classes and teachers have many resources to help those students. But sometimes it’s easier to connect with a fellow student than a teacher.

“I decided to tutor other students because it is something I would’ve wanted when I was in their situation.” Senior Haroon Dossani said. “One of the frequent things I see is other people struggling with the same things I struggled with in the past and being able to help them make high school a little easier is something that I want to and can do.”

However, the NHS student who help with the tutoring still have to overcome some obstacles to help their peers.

“Every person has a different way of learning so when you meet a new student, so finding the best way to get them to understand a subject can take time to adjust to.” Senior Jennifer Hoang said.

Different tutors use different ways to find ways to help.

“I try to get to know the individual student and their personality so that I can tailor my tutoring so that they can connect and understand material in the easiest and most effective way possible.” Hoang said.

Dossani uses another approach.

“I try to place myself in their shoes to see how and what they are learning.” Dossani said.

Although it can be difficult for the tutor, it is equally rewarding.

“[Tutoring] gives me a chance to give back to the school.” Hoang said. “It’s my last year here, and as a senior, I want to leave a positive mark at Bowie by helping NHS set up a system that will allow our members to do the same.”

For Dossani the hard work pays off as well.

“I know I am actually helping people when they come back with a good essay grade or are able to build a solid foundation in some concept to carry them in the future.” Dossani said.