Theatre Company tours to perform children shows

Shelby Kelly, Sports Editor

Fresh, round faces, with big eyes look upon the per- formers dressed in bright colors. The performers have traveled from afar to bring a whole new world to the growing minds that are watching them.

As cooler temperatures approach, it is time for the annual children show performances. The shows are directed by seniors who submit their show and get approved to travel around to different elementary or middle schools to perform a story that is around 10 – 20 min. There are 15 senior directors this year, which is a very high number compared to normal, who are working on producing their shows while the technical theatre two classes make their set.

“15 plays is a big challenge, but because of that, we were able to cast everyone who auditioned. I’m sure most of the technicians who interview will also get to help build and run a show too,” theatre teacher Betsy Cornwell said. “We also will be able to reach more students in AISD. As of today, there are 37 performances scheduled – that means we could be reaching 4000 students or more.”

Based all on their own original ideas, the teacher’s leave the shows all up to the senior directors and are there just for support.

“I’m here for any and all brainstorming. If student directors are stuck on a problem and need advice I am always willing to sit with them or stay for a rehearsal and together we can come up with a solution,” theatre teacher Courtney Hall said.

As the company grows, the need for roles has grown too, therefore the increase to 15 shows this year might be necessary.

“I love going to the elementary schools and seeing the little kids react to live performances. So few kids get a chance to see live theatre, and I watch them more than the plays sometimes,” Cornwell said.

Step On a Crack is a play chosen by senior director Avery Helder that focuses on family values and that you can still have a family even if they are not biologically connected.

“One of the key factors that went into choosing my show is that it had a limited amount of characters and for children shows you really want to have the least amount to tour with you as possible,” Helder said. “I also I looked at some previous shows that some seniors had directed and I researched and went pretty far back and I found Step On a Crack and I liked it.”

Excited to play a twist on a memorable novel, actor and senior Sarah Ann Ramsey, is new and is excited to be a part of tradition.

“The show is a new take on the book because the characters in the play are going to be playing multiple parts so my character Susan, is also playing the part of the witch,” Ramsey said. “So I’m going to be visibly changing characters in the show and going to be portraying two different parts while telling the story to the audience.

”With many more plays, 15 in total, each with their own interpreted ideas and styles, they are all excited to perform and entertain the youth, providing many with this rare opportunity of theatre with a message, that not may other high schools get to do.

“I’m most excited about seeing the actors change between the different characters and work together on stage to bring the show and the imagination elements to life,” senior Lauren Norris said. “I am also really excited about getting to tour the show to elementary schools because that’s always really fun.”