Bowie snapchat unifies community

Natalie Aman, Staff Writer

Snapchat has introduced a feature recently where people can create custom stories. These stories can be added to by people in a certain location or by friends of the creator. Many students at Bowie have created these stories to share funny moments in class, their opinions on things at school, or to reach out to other students.

I think these collaborative stories give our student body a way to connect as a whole, and it brings students from all different parts of the school together in one online community.

This Snapchat feature allows students who don’t know each other to communicate and share their opinions through photos and videos. And once you post something on one of the many public stories, it gives everyone who has access to that story the ability to add you as a friend. This way, you are not posting for a completely anonymous audience. And people you may have never talked to or even seen on campus have the chance of collaborating with you.

The stories also give kids the chance to post without a filter. Many students post rants about things they deem unfair in our school system, and it is so fascinating to see such a wide variety of opinions being freely expressed on one campus. While many kids may be too shy to speak their thoughts on school related topics, this gives them the the chance to share them with a large number of people online.

Another thing I have seen quite often on these stories are people posting fun activities they do in class or with their friends at school. It’s really exciting seeing kids share positive points throughout the school day. Many times we focus on complaining about things we find wrong with our school, but many kids are embracing this opportunity to showcase their good experiences on campus.

Students are also using Snapchat as an outlet for reaching out to others with school related questions and updates. With so many different websites and accounts our teachers give us, it can be hard to keep up with all our responsibilities. But most kids find the time of day to check snapchat, so it has been a good way of staying updated with things going on at Bowie.

Overall, I think the new custom stories have been a good way for our school to stay connected and freely express ourselves.