Senior Contract regulates student lunches

Sam McPherson, Staff Writer

Here at Bowie High School all Seniors are required to sign the Senior Contract before the start of the school year. The contract enables them to get the ID that is necessary to leave campus as long as they sign off on the guidelines.

“The senior ID for off campus is different than a regular ID. You can’t get the ID for off campus unless you turn in your senior contract,” says Vice Principal Lawrence Britton.

Mr.Britton explained that it’s always been the case, however this year students are saying that it’s just now being enforced.

“Andy checks the IDs as students leave, not parking passes. Students without the ID aren’t allowed out,” says Britton.

Even if it is in effect now, there isn’t an efficient way to check on every student and their intentions.

“I think we sign it to go off and get food, not because we’re actually going to follow the rules and regulations,” says senior Jasmine Nance.

Some of the criteria on the contract includes refusing rides to underclassmen during lunch and making responsible choices.

“I don’t think many students actually stick the guidelines that they’re signing off on,” says Britton.

As far as the Bowie staff is concerned, there is still activity in the parking lots that would violate the contract, if the student signed it.

“When it comes to driving safely in the parking lots, not taking younger students off campus, most of that behavior is still common. It’s not that effective,” says Britton.

Although the contract might contain criteria that isn’t realistic for some students, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be altered any time soon.

“I am doubtful that the district will change the guidelines even if they aren’t always honored,” says Britton.

The initial goal of the contract was actually to keep all students, excluding seniors, on campus.

“Years ago, 9th thru 12th grader could leave campus. But then underclassmen would leave with upperclassmen and they would not come back in timely manner, or at all,” says Britton.

Even though it appears to be under the district’s jurisdiction, it’s also a legal issue to remain on campus during the school day.

“The city came out with curfew warrants for students under 17 that said they couldn’t be out on a school day without a parent between the hours of 9:30 and 2:30,” says Britton.

Though the focus for most students is on off campus privileges, the Senior Contract includes other rules too, like refraining from the use of drugs and alcohol.

“The expectations are supposed to affect what you do outside of school and I don’t think it’s fair to try and control that,” says Nance.

Other students, specifically athletes trying to lead a healthy lifestyle, think it promotes good values and decide to stick to it.

“I think students follow it well and set a good example for the underclassmen. I know it’s a system so personally I try to respect it,” says Senior Matt Forrest.

Overall the contract is a good attempt to manage off campus lunch and senior behavior, but not all students have the integrity to stick by it.