The murder-mystery Blossoms again

The murder-mystery Blossoms again

Jadon Alvarez, Entertainment Editor

The dramatic woes of high school are a popular focus for many TV shows, but this can often fall into the same boring, overused tropes.

However in some cases, the show will have a particular problem that introduces uniqueness to the plot-line and makes the series stand out.

On Jan. 26 of this year, the CW released a TV show called “Riverdale” which is based off of the famous Archie Comics but with a dark twist.

The TV show centers on the main four characters of Archibald “Archie” Andrews (KJ Apa), Elizabeth “Betty” Cooper (Lili Reinhart), Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), and Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse) along with other supporting characters.

The show is a murder-mystery along with some romance here and there, with the main question every character wants to answer, “Who killed Jason Blossom?”

Jason Blossom (Trevor Stine) is the son of the rich and famous Blossom family, known for their maple syrup within the town of Riverdale.

One day when Jason and his sister Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch) go kayaking in the lake and later Jason is found dead. No one, not even his sister, knows what happened to him and the four main characters spend the remainder of the show trying to solve the mystery.

Within the show, the viewer is introduced to each character’s back story and how it creates the person they became. There is a whole lot of drama based on the Jason-crisis and their own personal lives throughout the series.

Overall, I like the plot of the show because I love the different genres like mystery and romance included. Because who doesn’t love a good ol’ romance story and a murder mystery?

Although, yes, most shows have a “whodunit” plot line with teenagers trying to solve the case, Riverdale has other plots along with the main plot that give this show a dramatic or comedic affect. The show also contains a lot of drama which I like, because the drama stems off of the Jason murder mystery and the characters’ personal struggles.

I also love the character’s personalities on the show. One of my favorite characters is Cheryl Blossom, playing the titular mean girl on the show.

In general, I tend to love the mean girls on any TV show because I like how far they’ll go and how they always add a little something extra to the plot.

Cheryl wants to prove that Betty’s family, the Coopers, is somehow responsible for Jason’s death and will do anything possible to make the Blossoms look as innocent as possible, even if that means she has take people down.

There’s also the Southside Serpents, Riverdale’s infamous gang known for crime. Jughead’s dad F.P. Jones (Skeet Ulrich) is the leader of the gang and Jughead’s relationship to the Serpents takes a toll on his friends.

Although the gang is infamous and known for being horrible people, I like the Southside Serpents because I think they play a huge part to Jughead’s character and they help the plot develop.

There is also singing included in the show, which I think is a little cheesy but I’m also not really a musical type of guy.

Most of the singing is done by “Josie and the Pussycats”, a band of girls who wear cat ears and want to make it to the big leagues.

The band consists of Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), Valerie “Val” Brown (Hayley Law), and Melody Valentine (Ashanti Bromfield).

I adore the girl’s self-created music like the songs “I Got You” and “All Through The Night.” But I’m not that big of a fan of the songs they sing that are widely known, such as “Milkshake” by Kelis and “I Feel Love” by Donna Summer.

Another thing I like about the show is the diversity, which in my opinion is hard to come across nowadays in televisions and movies.

For example, in the original comics, “Josie and the Pussycats” are originally white like the other characters in the comic book, but in the TV show they are all black females, which I really appreciate. Another example of diversity in the show is the same-sex couple like Kevin (Casey Cott) and Southside Serpent Joaquin (Rob Raco), and interracial couples like Archie and Veronica.

If I were to give this show a rating out of five stars, I would give this show 4.5 stars. The show has a lot of good things about it, yet there are some things that I would change.

I love the plot of the whole show and the character’s personalities. If I were to change something though, I would want to leave out the singing.

The show is a great murder-mystery and I expect a lot more interesting storyline to take place within the show because as Jughead says, “Jason Blossom’s death would not be the first, nor would it be the last casualty that the town of Riverdale would suffer.”

Art by: Callie Richards