Choir Regions

Justine Lockhart, Staff Writer

On Saturday evening the voices of the Bowie choir students sang out at the annual regions competition. After practicing for months, the singers try to calm their nerves before performing for the judges.

“No matter how much you prepare you’re always gonna be a little nervous,” senior Crosby LaGrone said. “I usually think to myself to have fun and just relax as much as I can.”

Although she gets nervous, LaGrone enjoys the regions competition. One thing she especially likes is the difference between the team effort of the classroom and the ability to work on your own for regions.

“It’s a real show of self talent rather than group which isn’t something you get to work on all that much in high school outside of this process.” LaGrone said.

The music that the students perform is released around May or June, but each student prepares differently.

“I usually go to a music camp which is a three-four day long intense music camp where you just get it in your head until you could sing it with amnesia,” LaGrone said.

However, this year LaGrone decided to change her approach.  

“This year I took it easy and waited to start working in August.” LaGrone said.

Although she changed her method for this year, LaGrone still worked hard leading up to regions.

“I prepare on my own by looping the tracks and following along in my music and such.” LaGrone said.

Despite practicing hard for the competition, LaGrone was unable to sing.

“Sadly, I have bronchitis so my voice was nonexistent all of Saturday.” LaGrone said.

However, this did not discourage LaGrone.

“I was a little sad about not being able to sing but in the end I feel as though it’s the process that’s rewarding.” LaGrone said.

LaGrone has learned a lot just from the processes leading up to regions.

“It’s a certain discipline you need to learn on your own, and it helps start a drive for greater things.” LaGrone said.