Technology due to arrive in January

Technology due to arrive in January

Madisen Johnson, Staff Writer

Starting in the fall semester of the 2017-2018 school year, students will be receiving chromebooks to use for their school work.

This is called The “Everyone:1” initiative and it’s purpose is to provide students with proper technology so they can adapt to the technologically advanced society we live in.

AISD will be equipping all students with the opportunity to use technology to help them with their school work.  This could provide students without access to computers with the same opportunities that other students have.

The laptops that the students will be getting are Google Chromebooks. The laptops are giving the students the technology that several other schools have in the state of Texas.

“I think that this is a great idea because not all students have access to the technology that is needed to complete their assignments,” junior Noelle Parker said.  “Which results in them having to come to school early or stay after or just not turn in their assignments at all.”

The idea of laptops going to every student is a new idea to Bowie, but it is not new to other schools in the Austin area. AISD had to acquire the money before they could even start considering the idea. This could have been a difficult thing, and could have resulted in a longer wait time.

“It would have been more difficult for them to do it sooner, it’s all about money,” teacher Michael Evans said. “We are always going to have that problem with the money coming to the school.”

Although most students feel they could definitely benefit from the “Everyone:1” initiative, others feel it is almost a waste because they have already bought laptops for their school work or have access to one.

“Well, I already have a computer that I use for school,” junior Allie Grooms said. “So I feel like just another laptop might be useless and not as important.”

There are rules and expectations for the students’ use of their laptops, at home or at school, to ensure they do not break and that they are being used appropriately.

Some rules for the students’ computers are that they must bring them to school fully charged in the morning and that the students have to pay for any damage to their computers.

“A disadvantage of the laptops could be that the students have to be responsible to not lose it,” Evans said. “Just go look at our lost and found.”

Many students are already accustomed to turning in homework via the Internet. However, some students do not like the on-line homework that they have already, so they have found that a disadvantage to the new laptops could be that the amount of on-line homework will increase.

“A disadvantage is that it is easier for me and a lot of other people, I’m sure, to work on paper. Obviously it would be an advantage because you can check your work easier on the computer, but then it will lead to more on-line homework, when it is easier for me to do my work on paper.”

One Bowie teacher says that the fact that the students will have access to laptops, will not change his teaching style at all. His classes will be taught the same and that the addition of laptops will not affect his style of teaching.

“No,” Evans said. ”They will not change my classes.”

The introduction of the “Everyone:1” initiative has stirred mixed emotions in teachers and students, but overall, the responses have been positive and that the laptops will improve the learning experience of many students and may lead to more overall success.

“The initiative is overall a great idea in my opinion,” Parker said. “I think that a lot of people can benefit from it. I am glad that Bowie decided to start this because it might inspire and help a lot of students with school work.”

Junior Sophie Bega concentrate on a Chromebook in a science class. Many classrooms around campuses use these laptops to aid in assignments. Photo by: Gigi Francis