Back To School Night

Kaitlyn Zellner, Online Writer

The annual Back to School Night open house was held last night, Wednesday September 6th.  Back to school night is a time where parents spend over an hour in the shoes of their children, going from class to class and meeting teachers.

Teachers have seven minutes to talk about what their course requires from their children, some teachers even have a short video for parents to watch. This is a good time for parents to ask questions, and understand what the children can take away from the course. It is alo a good time to buy school merchandise, yearbooks, and learn more about the community.

Last night was Spanish teacher, Amanda Walsh , first ever Bowie back to school night. She transferred from a school in Michigan and explains the difference in the open houses.

“It was my first back to school night at Bowie, but it was different from my last school because I really liked having parents show up it makes it worthy of my time, and it was a good opportunity to meet new people in the community since I am new here.”

Bowie is well known for its strong community, and almost family like atmosphere. Walsh goes further into detail how the open house was a great example of Bowie’s sense of community, and the importance of shaking the hands of her students guardians.

“My previous school in Michigan’s back to school night was more of going to a big assembly that became a rotation through classes and making the parents fill out papers, but Bowie is more personal and actually gives an opportunity for me to meet parents, as well as discuss my class.”

As beneficial as back to school night is for both parents and teachers, it can also be fun to meet the new people. Walsh tells about the humor in new greetings.

“It can also be funny to see how similar, or sometimes different the parents are from the students. Some students look similar to their parents, I actually used to be told all the time that I look like my dad.”

Nutrition teacher, Kelly Langdon, explains to parents her classes curriculum and what is expected of their students. Photo by: Emily Yoder