VASE art competition

Madison Austin, Student Life Editor

The Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) is an art event put on by the Texas Art Education Association (TAEA) where high school students from across the surrounding area showcase their art and compete with other students in their category.

This past VASE competition two students from Bowie, senior Alex Spink and and junior Jessica Chong advanced to the state competition.

“This is my second year going to state for one of my art pieces, I’m excited to see what happens with my piece,” Spink said.Students spend months working on these projects from staying late or coming in early  so when it comes time to be judged they are sure to get a good score.

“It took me around 75 to 80 hours to complete my piece, it was very exhausting,” Spink said.

VASE is a competition for all types of from sculptures to drawings, a piece sent in could be anything from a 3-D sculpture to a 2-D drawing.

“I used polyurethane resin for the base of the mask, clay for the teeth, resin for the eyes, foam for the horns faux fur and acrylic paint,“ Spink said.Spink said.

For some going from VASE to a state competition means that they can finish out their high school art careers with a bang.

“When I learned I made it to state I felt like I could now leave the school year and graduate with no regrets, having accomplished a long awaited goal I’d been working for years,”Spink said

The inspiration for a piece or art can come from, a name, landscape or an animal.

“ I was inspired by the zebra finch and wanted to incorporate the species into an intricate mask to wear,”Spink said ..