Cheer takes Nationals

Samantha Knapp, Staff Writer

The varsity cheer team made history by progressing to the final round at the National Cheerleaders Association (NCA) high school cheerleading championship for the first time in nine years.

“The team worked insanely hard for the national championship,” senior cheerleader Violet Duran said. “Within the time we had between competition at Texas State and NCA, a lot of cheerleaders got injured and the routine had to change in such a short amount of time. But because of the hard work the girls really pulled through.”

Not only did varsity cheer advance to the final round, but they placed seventh in small varsity co-ed division in competition with 33 other squads from around the country.

“We all worked incredibly hard this year, experienced many hardships as a team and there were many practices where we thought that giving up would just be easier, but we knew that we owed it to ourselves to continue on,” senior cheerleader Bridget Alvarez said.

The cheerleaders scored nine points higher than their preliminary score which resulted in the team challenging other teams in the largest, most competitive co-ed division.

“I feel so blessed and honored to be this team’s coach, they are such an amazing group and had such a long journey and knowing that the outcome was record breaking is such a privilege,” varsity cheer coach Amie Roggeman said.

Varsity cheer made a bold impression with the NCA judges and staff as well as other competitors and spectators.
“Seeing the look on their face of pride and accomplishment was the moment every coach wishes for,” Roggeman said. “Bowie made a statement at nationals this year and we are going to go back and show them once again what this team is made of.”