Traveling down to the country of kangaroos for college

Carissa Duran, Features Editor

For each high school student it seems like an impossible thought of the day where one has to pack up their belongings and start their new life in college. With a blink of an eye it’s time to toss up the high school graduation cap and say goodbye to friends and families.

From hopping from one continent to the other, the hugs and goodbyes will be a little more emotional for senior Keila Galan than for most students. Galan will be flying across the globe to attend Hillsong Leadership College in Sydney, Australia to pursue her dream of music.

“The moment I realized I wanted to go to Australia was sophomore year, I knew I wanted to dedicate my life to God and pursue my calling for music,” Galan said. “Bringing music and Jesus to the world, helping in missionary’s and just being an impact on the world in a positive way. The move is big, but it isn’t something that I can’t handle.”

Galan being involved in youth worship bands at a young age is what introduced her to the love and she had for music, which then carried into a passion that she had to pursue.

“My whole life I’ve grown up in the church,“ Galan said. “I started to play my guitar when I was eight years old and I’ve played in the youth worships all my life. It’s what I know best and what makes me happy.”

The move from one continent to another is not just a dramatic change for Galan, but just as big it is for her, it’s a change for her parents as well.

“When she had mentioned to me she had been thinking about Hillsong leadership college I thought it was temporary and it wasn’t too serious,“ Keila’s father Jonathan Galan said. “Here she is today, 100% going through with it and I support her 100%, along with my wife. She has made us very proud and I know she will do great in all her plans and dreams.”

Music has been in Keila’s life since she was a little girl,  it has been inspiring her and impacting her ever since.

“I feel like music has not only given Keila something to do, but it has given her an outlet to everything happening in her life,” senior Briana Gonzales said. “She always talks about music with such a passion that at first I was surprised because she’s so silly that I’ve never seen her focus so much.”

Keila’s church is the largest inspiration for her deciding to move to Australia.

“I could tell she had an eye out for the worship area of the church, she started playing in a kids church band at eight years old,” Jonathan said. “I think that impacted her a lot. I could say having all these experiences made her stronger to judgment and being more experienced helped her grow musically and spiritually growing closer to God.”

Keila would not be able to make this move without the gracious support that she has been receiving.

“People’s reactions towards my decision was both shock and super happy,” Keila said. “My family has been beyond supportive. It’s been hard that I’m gonna be leaving for four years, but they know it’s for a good cause and something I have always wanted. My friends are also very supportive. I couldn’t ask for better people in my life.”

The drastic change of this move is worth it for Keila because she will be pursuing her dream.

“I grew up in Austin, it’s my home,” Keila said. “The only thing that will make me sustain all of it and the new changes coming my way is doing what I love to do, it’s all worth it in the end. ”

Art by Ashley Ramirez