Twins balance school, extracurriculars and themselves

Austyn Keelty, Staff Writer

Almost every student in high school recognizes with the struggle of having to balance extracurricular activities with high level classes and the maintaining of good grades.

And wouldn’t it be ideal if everyone had a sidekick to help you get through that impossible math homework or English essay over a book you didn’t read? For Brooke and Taylor Folliard that fantasy is a reality.

Sophomores Brooke and Taylor are twins and both participate in multiple sports and weighted classes. As twins, they are able to help each other through the stress of school and support each other on the sidelines as well.

“It’s super helpful because even after late night games/practices when we are both super tired we both just have to push each other,” Taylor said. “And we’re like okay we can get this work done together if we both just focus so it helps to have an encouraging sister,” Taylor Folliard said.

The constant pressure to excel in school and outside activities sounds like enough, but as high school students getting into a good college is added onto the already full plate. Even though as sophomores college is fairly far away, the twins are already preparing for their futures.

“I stay motivated in school because I’m always determined to set up a good future for myself so I know that if I do good in school and get good grades, I can be in top ten percent and hopefully be able to go to my college of choice,” Brooke said.

Although sports can seem like a big time commitment and a lot of dedication, playing sports and growing close to their teammates have also helped them through the stress of school.

“We all know the struggle of having a ton of homework and still having practices and games so we all just help each other,” Taylor said. “I think I’m probably face timing a teammate of mine every night to either help them or have them help me.

According to the American psychological association stress is taking over high schools all across the world, for over fifty-percent of students report feeling stressed daily and that on average one-third of study time is spent feeling stressed, anxious or overwhelmed. Stress upon students can also affect the parents because they feel responsible to help their children cope.

“They don’t have a lot of responsibilities at home. They don’t have chores to do. I just try not to add extra responsibilities for them to do,” Taylor and Brooke’s mother Janine Folliard said. “So, their focus is on school work and doing well in school.

The American psychological association says that twenty-percent of high school students could be diagnosed with clinical depression, and although there are many factors playing into this, school stress seems to always be one of the top components.  Sometimes that weight falls onto the teacher.

“I definitely think that teachers need to take into consideration the amount of AP/Pre-AP classes that the students take as well as all the extra curricular activities that students do,” Brooke said. “I think most classes give out too much work and should at least cut down on the homework a little bit.”

Through the pressure of everything the twins will always have each other to fall back on and can always rely on each other to support them through the rough high school experience.

“Juggling everything can be very stressful. But I always try to stay positive and never give up,” Brooke said.

Art by Jake Brien