Amanda Knox Netflix Documentary

Jadon Alvarez, Online Writer

Netflix has recently released a documentary on Amanda Knox, a twenty-year-old female exchange student in Italy who was accused of murdering her fellow British roommate Meredith Kercher in 2007. Knox was tried in 2009 and was sent to prison in Italy for four years. After two appeals, she was finally released in 2015.

This documentary is a great murder mystery where the viewer themself becomes a detective, investigating the motives and paying attention to the smallest of details. The documentary started filming in 2011 and the directors put in a lot of details that the viewer can try to decide themselves “Is Amanda innocent?”.

At the beginning of the movie, the director set up a prologue that pulled you into Amanda’s life story, including Amanda’s life in her early teens and how she decided to move to Italy as a foreign exchange student and how she formed another life in Italy. The prologue itself made Amanda come off as your typical partying twenty year old female in college.

The viewer gets to see Amanda’s story progress throughout the entire movie, in and out of prison, and we get to hear the interviews and thought police’s, interviewee’s and close accomplices. The thoughts and opinions of the others involved in Amanda’s story go in-depth which add more to the story.

Amanda also saved footage and pictures throughout the time she was in Italy and when Kercher was murdered. The footage and pictures help both sides of either if Knox was innocent or guilty of murdering Kercher so it was useful but then it backfired on Amanda.

Reviews of the story have been pretty good, Rotten Tomatoes gave the documentary an 88% and IMDb gave the documentary a good seven out of ten stars.

The documentary used great information so we can see Amanda’s story of how she was convicted of a murder. With plot twists and in-depth information, us viewers question ourselves, “Did Amanda Knox have the potential to murder Meredith Kercher?”