Students attend protests to fight for what they believe in

Jolie Francis, Staff Writer

In wake of the November presidential election, there have been many mixed responses at the results. People have been expressing their thoughts in many ways, including by protesting.

Bowie students have traveled downtown to participate in the protests. Such protests started at the capitol and people, reaching around 300, walked all throughout downtown chanting their beliefs.

Junior Rose Eichelmann attended an anti-Trump protest in mid-November, following the election. Like many others, Eichelmann protested because she was unhappy with the outcome and the president-elects policies.

“My reason for attending the Trump protest was that I am unhappy with his election. His campaign brought out a lot of the hatred and ignorance within American people,” Eichelmann said. “Trump and Pence have both said and done many things to promote racist, sexist, islamophobic, and homophobic views, and I refuse to support any presidency that encourages these extremely harmful values.”

Many Americans are fearful for their futures with the president-elect Trump as their future president. Eichelmann shares the fearful sentiment, both fear for herself and for others.

“As a Latina woman, I understand that Trump’s presidency could and will affect the future of myself as well as many other people. Trump’s plans for the future during his campaign included policies that could be very harmful and detrimental to many people,” Eichelmann said. “These policies and prejudices have brought out violence and hatred within his supporters, who now believe they are entitled to act upon this hatred due to his election. It is disheartening for me to have a president elect who does not respect me or my ethnicity, and his election could spark a wave of injustices against women like me as well as other people of various racial minorities, religions, and sexual orientations.”

Protests don’t stop at the city level though. They came all the way to Bowie high school. Junior Jimmy Counihan organized a walk-out at Bowie to protest Trump. For students who wished to participate, the plan was to release balloons and sign a petition for electors part of the electoral college to become “faithless electors,” according to Counihan.

“It was my idea to do a Trump protest at Bowie but I was inspired by the national movement and what was happening in Austin. I had friends that participated in protests downtown and I thought that something similar could be done at Bowie,” Counihan said. “The protest at Bowie was in part because of my dissatisfaction with Donald Trump but also with my dissatisfaction at the cultural shift at Bowie.”

But, Counihan then reconsidered the walk-out and decided to cancel it. He stated that the reason for the cancellation was based on a conversation with principal Susan Leos and his belief that a nonpartisan institution is not the right place to protest.

“I ultimately decided to put an end to the walk out because of the personal conversation I had with Ms. Leos that was not only productive, but extremely respectful and personable,” Counihan said. “She was more than willing to listen to my grievances and did a great job handling the issue using patience, trust, and honesty. Leading me to reach out to those who were going to take action with me and notify them that there are better actions to take to share their voice and concerns.”

Other ways for people to share their concerns is by social media, according to U.S. Government teacher Carlen Floyd. But she believes the most effective way to make change is by voting.

¨I do not think these protests are being particularly effective — at least not in changing anything. They may make students feel less isolated, and they may be cathartic. But there are already many other tools at their disposal by which they may express their opinions, particularly social media,” Floyd said. ¨As always, I believe the most effective tool US citizens have is the right to vote. So, if these same students who are so vocal right now about the election will mobilize, continue their interest in politics, and actually vote in 2020, they could see actual results.¨

Students continue to encourage everyone to do what they can to share their beliefs. But also urge people to keep their actions peaceful.

“To everyone that wants to make a difference, continue your work,” Counihan said. “We must unite under Bowie as a place of education and admiration through pride. As human beings it is our responsibility to bring truth to where there may be error, and to bring harmony to where there may be discord. If you see either I urge you to correct them but do so respectfully, courteously, and responsibly.”

Art By Gavin Farner