Maya Levee’s Plans To Study Abroad

Jadon Alvarez, Photographer / Online Writer

Students are enrolling in Spanish to get the credits needed to graduate. While some students take Spanish to just graduate, sophomore Maya Levee was inspired by a friend to take her Spanish education overseas to Spain as a foreign exchange student. But she is still waiting to hear from the program she signed up for to see if she is able to be a foreign exchange student so she is still currently in the United States.

Levee wanted to start the foreign exchange in Spain for six to twelve months because she wants to experience a different culture.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to experience different cultures and I’m really interested in the Spanish language and I think it’d be a great opportunity to just continue my love for it,” Levee said.

But problems occurred in the process because there were deadline applications and she needed to find out what type of schooling was best for her in Spain. She turned in her applications and is now currently waiting to hear back from them.

“There’s primary, secondary and tertiary schooling and then you go to college. It’s kind of like America but it’s different age groups so you have to figure out what you go into and because I especially want to study in law, it would be a little confusing to learn the Spanish laws and come back to America and learn the American laws,” Levee said.

Levee’s Spanish teacher Senora Salgado thinks that Levee is up to par to be a foreign exchange student.

“If she wants to do it, she needs to have desire to do it. She also has a positive attitude and the desire to learn the language,” Salgado said.

Levee wanted to look for opportunities to study in a different country where they speak a language that is not typical in the United States.

“It’s taught but it’s not a primary language so I was looking for the opportunities to study and continue my Spanish education and to study the different courses they have in another country.” Levee said.

Salgado thinks that traveling to Spain is great for Levee’s interest in the Spanish language and experience of what it is like to learn and live in another country.

“ I think it’s a great opportunity. Everyone should have the experience of traveling and learning about other people’s culture. She will definitely be bilingual. She will meet other people from other countries and develop life long friendships with Spaniards and she will learn about the country’s history and culture,” Salgado said.

While in Spain, Levee also wanted to get a feel of Spain’s culture and she thinks her views on their culture will change.

“ I’m expecting cultural experiences like making new friends and communicating in Spanish is a big one for me, and just learning and educating myself and being educated in a different culture and a different language would be a great way for me to experience new cultures and experience new learning techniques,” Levee said.