Senior plans on studying abroad in Italy next semester

Austyn Keelty, Staff Writer

r approaches students must prepare to leave home and start a life on their own. Some students are eager to go straight to college, however others may have the desire to take a different and more daring route and get a taste of what the outside world is like before settling down for school yet again.

Aubrey Janowitz is a senior at Bowie High School who plans to graduate early this December and spend a semester studying abroad in Italy. Knowing no one and not knowing what to expect, Janowitz is jumping in head first to get her first hand experience of cultures and education outside the United States.

“I knew I wanted to go abroad and experience other cultures, but also wanted to continue my education so I did some research and found ISA,” Janowitz said.

International Studies Abroad (ISA) is a program that makes it easier for students to earn the opportunity to study abroad by helping plan their trips and offering excursions and cultural activities in different set locations that the students can choose from.

“I chose Italy because it has always been my dream to go there,” Janowitz said. ”I chose Florence because the school, Florence University of Arts, offered classes I wanted to take and that correlate to what I want to major in during college [journalism].”

Graduating early is not for everybody and only few students actually follow through with the plan all throughout high school. Doing this takes a lot of dedication and time management and only few students can actually handle the extra workload.

“If the student starts out and plans it and they are mature, they’re organized, they’re focused and there is a real reason why they want to graduate early, they have plans, definite plans, then it’s a good idea,” counselor Nona May said.

In order to achieve this plan, lots of preparation and planning has to be made, for graduating early is a very complicated process that requires major qualifications and readiness.

“The process is difficult because there are courses that have to be taken in order to graduate,” May said. ”It has to be a decision that’s made in freshman year and then you tell your counselor and you follow a very highly structured course selection process so that you have everything by the time you graduate.”

Moving away from home to a different country can be scary for the exchange student, however it can also take a toll on the parents.

“What scares me most is knowing that she’s navigating her way around a strange place all by herself,” her mother Sally Janowitz said.

Staying in a different country requires a lot of cultural preparation beforehand to allow a smooth transition into a completely foreign lifestyle and atmosphere.

“I am trying to learn the basics of the language now and I will be taking Italian at the university,” Aubrey said.

Not only will Aubrey be spending her time in Italy studying, but she also has other plans to explore and experience cultures outside of Florence.

“After the three and a half months of studying at the university I will be backpacking by train to five other countries including Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark for two weeks,” Aubrey said.

Airbnb is a company that offers short-term housing and vacationing homes that are privately owned, mainly used by people who are traveling long distances looking for cheaper and easier places to stay.

“I’ll be using Airbnb and I’m going by myself,” Aubrey said. “But other people are doing the study abroad program all across the US, so I will meet those people and be living with some of those girls I am roomed with, but the backpacking I am doing by myself.”

Graduating early can open many doors for students and not only will it be a valuable experience to look back on, but it also sets students ahead of their peers.

“You’re starting your adult life a semester early, go for it,” May said.

Putting aside all the nerves and uneasiness, there are many things to look forward to in a new place with different people, food, and opportunities.

“I’m more excited than anything,” Aubrey said. “I’m looking forward to experiencing a different culture and seeing what else this world has to offer, while gaining college credits and of course, eating the authentic Italian food.”

Art By Gavin Farner