Athletes Empower Themselves

Joseph Killeen, Online Editor

Heavy breaths and clanking metal can be heard as students in Bowie’s weight room repeat and defeat the workouts planned for them that day. Sophomore Seth Leifheit finds the weight room to be a productive and important place to gain strength.

“The workouts definitely help make you stronger. The squats and the bench press especially. You see results with your body decently fast,” Leifheit said.

As a varsity cross country runner, Leifheit finds the workouts to be challenging, but nothing that he isn’t capable of.

“During the workouts, I usually feel pretty good. After a while, I start getting pretty tired and worn out, but I still enjoy it,” Leifheit said.

For Sophomore Alexis Bobbitt, she feels that the workouts are a great way to grow stronger, but she often finds herself adding on to her workouts.

“I find that sometimes I have to use a little extra weight on the programs or do a few exercises that involve certain muscles,” Bobbitt said. “But I believe that’s just because everyone’s bodies are different and some people are stronger in certain areas than others.”

While the weight room seems pretty simple, the athletes must inspire themselves and pay attention to the goal ahead of them if they are to succeed in growing strength.

Bobbitt finds that the weight room is one of the places that allows her to become a better athlete in her sports.

“Mainly, the sports I do inspire me to work harder in the weight room because I know that whatever I do in the weight room will help me in mountain biking and running, those definitely help me in the weight room and visceral,” Bobbitt said.

The same inspiration is found in Leifheit’s who also does parkour and freerunning.

“Parkour is a tough sport that requires a lot of agility, leg strength and upper body strength. So I use my love for the sport to keep me motivated to give my best in the weight room. Because I have to say in the best shape I can to be able to do what I love,” Leifheit said.

Although Leifheit pushes himself in his workouts, he still feels like something is missing.

“I think the program is pretty good at making you stronger if you put in the work. Personally, one way I think that the program could be improved is if body-weight exercises were added,” Leifheit said. “Body-weight exercises build lean muscle, which is beneficial in many sports.”

Yet, Bowie’s weight room isn’t only blood, sweat, and tears. Senior Dawson Warnken feels that the weight room is a great place to be with his friends.

“I have a very fun time working out since I am close to my friends and I get to workout with them,” Warnken said. “I am also inspired by the fact that I am getting better by trying hard in the weight room to be faster and stronger for track season.”

Even with years of cross country and track under his belt, Warnken still thinks that the weight room has a positive effect on his athletic performance.

“I feel that the workouts are making me stronger. Specifically the squats. Getting my legs in shape for the track season. I do palates and that benefits my flexibility in the weight room and it also teaches me to use the correct muscles when working out,” Warnken said.

The weight room is a place intended for encouraging attitudes, and Bobbitt definitely agrees it’s a place filled with positivity.

“The environment of the weight room is very fun and encouraging because all the people in the weight room always want to help you and see you do your best,” Bobbitt said.

This setting allows for Bobbitt to perform well and do her best while working out alongside her friends.

“While working out I feel good and myself getting stronger with every workout and I also love to see everyone else doing the same,” Bobbitt said.

Leifheit perspective is quite similar to that of Bobbitts, as he feels inspired by his teammates and fellow athletes who push him through the workouts.

“The thing I like most about the weight room is the encouragement I get.”