A fight for the crown continues

Kathleen Nguyen, Student Life Editor

From the blazing Texas heat to the freezing Indianapolis chill the James Bowie Band has experienced it all. The past fall semester has been anything but a breeze.

Having practice every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday while also attending every Friday night football game is no easy feat, but with the pressures of Grand Nationals and State, there was no time to slack.

The start of the season began in early August, preparing for the season to come.

“I was kind of nervous when we first started the season because we were getting new directors in such an important year, and I knew that we were going to have to work really hard in order to have our show ready for Grand Nationals,” junior Emma Kunkel said.

Throughout the journey, every performance was a practice for what was ultimately the end goal, Grand Nationals.

“It’s always good to treat a run as a performance and to get in the mindset of doing a performance,” senior Santiago Aguilar said.

Having practices be like performances isn’t done for no reason though.

“When an important performance comes up, a competition for example, we can be focused and energized to have a great performance,” Aguilar said.

Ultimately less than pleased with their placement at state, eighteenth in semi’s, band members and directors reflected on their mistakes from the performance.

“I was a little shocked about the state results because I definitely know we belonged in finals,” band director Jennifer Hanford said. “However, our prelims performance wasn’t at the highest level as we have performed so I understood why we didn’t advance.”

Although the national trip was a first for 99% of the band students, Aguilar has previously been for a different organization.

“Going to Indy for the second time was great,” Aguilar said. “Thanks to my Drum Corps experience, I already knew what Lucas Oil Stadium was like.”

Aguilar’s previous experience at nationals was beneficial to him and the people he works with in band to producing their best performance they could produce.

“Being the only marcher to have marched there before, Grand Nationals definitely was a privilege and thanks to that, I was able to spread any information that was needed about acoustics, field design, etc.,” Aguilar said.

Overall this was a positive accomplishment for him.

“I felt so happy walking onto the field again and being able to perform with the organization that shaped me into who I am today,” Aguilar said.

The sole focus of Indy was centered on competing in Grand Nationals, however, consequences of working so diligently, was the exhaustion aspect.

“My experience in Indy was a lot of fun but definitely exhausting,” senior Kristen Poole said. “Not many people got much sleep but we still got up and had lots of fun.”

While the band watched other schools perform, mixed emotions were running through their heads.

“Seeing the other bands perform was a love/hate experience because I wish I was one of the marchers on the field but seeing how amazing and cool their shows are I was proud to have competed with them,” Poole said.

The stark silence when announcing winners and runner-ups was anxiety-producing and a heart-pounding experience for musicians, marchers, and guard alike.

“The first time performing in Lucas Oil Stadium was so nerve-racking,” Poole said. “The stadium is so dead, meaning you could only hear yourself breathing and the faint cheers of the crowd.”

The entire season has been unforgettable for the band members, with so many memories and friendships being created.

“My most memorable moment of the whole season was honestly just getting to know and be closer friends with the clarinets and a few more,” Poole said.

Despite not getting the results they wanted, the James Bowie Band kept their heads high.

“I honestly don’t really care about results,” Aguilar said. “I get that they aren’t our ‘standards’ but I think that the way we felt about those performances was what mattered.”

No matter the results, Aguilar believes the actual performance was what stood out amongst them.

“We all felt like we had the best performances of our lives and having that thought was better than worrying about placement,” Aguilar said.

However, just knowing that the ensemble gave it their all in that semi-final run, was satisfaction for some.

“Walking off the field at Grand Nationals after prelims and semi-finals was such an amazing, exhilarating feeling that I knew was the best I could do,” Aguilar said. “And no matter what the outcome would be, I would be proud of myself and everyone around me.”

With the hectic season thrown together at the last minute, band director Jennifer Hanford pushes to improve next year.

”I am looking forward to being a part of designing the show and be able to start the season in a much more comfortable environment,” Hanford said. “Meaning, not having to rush in at the end of July like the entire staff did this past year.”

Now with the upcoming Christmas season, the entire band director staff have grown together through all the obstacles they’ve faced.

“I was very happy with the whole season,” Hanford said. “The best part was having a brand new staff who got along very well and worked together as a team.”

Throughout the season, the obstacles that came their way were fixable with each other’s support.

“There were very few bumps in the road, and anytime those showed up, we all worked to fix them as best as possible,” Hanford said.

The trip to Indianapolis was a tribute to all the blood, sweat, and tears that have been shed by these students this past fall season.

“Overall this season was amazing and my favorite show by far over the past four years I’ve marched,” Poole said.

Being her final show, Poole reflects back on the season.

“I am going to miss this season, show, and people so much,” Poole said. “I couldn’t have asked for a better group to perform such an amazing show.”

Photo By: Violet Glenewinkel