Cheerleading Team Gets a New Coach

Gigi Francis, Photographer/Online Writer

The stands are going wild as a touchdown is made. The cheer squad is flipping through the air as specks of sweat liter the surrounding space. Blinding lights fill the stadium creating a huge spotlight on the performers.

Practice makes perfect. The Bowie cheerleading team has being working non stop in preparation of the football season. The team has a new coach this year, Amie Roggemann, who is helping them practice on perfecting their skills. This year is full of adjusting and changing it up for the cheer squad.

“I have worked with many schools over the years through clinics and choreography and Bowie is different in many amazing ways,” Roggemann said. “The cheerleaders here at Bowie are self-motivated and determined.

This year preparing for the new season could be a bit different. Their new coach Roggemann has adjusted the practices so they can really nail their performances.

“Our new coach has changed the way we practiced in that we break up into varsity and JV, and individually work stunting and skills, but we still get to bond as a whole,” junior, Kitty Lee said.

With a loss of one coach and the gain of another, the team has worked hard on perfecting every move.

“Coach Roggemann helped us become a more well rounded team in every aspect of cheer,” senior Brandon Hertel said.

Roggemann is making a  modifications for the team practices to make performances run smoother.

“We’re all adapting to her coaching style but I think she will be good for the team,” sophomore Catalina Camacho said.

Roggemann has been working to make the team stronger to be able to show off everything they’ve got in performances.

“At Bowie I have incorporated the weight room into our weekly routine,” Roggemann said.

In order for this team to become a family they have to reconcile new members and make them feel apart of everything. Seniors focus on the new sophomores helping them fit in.

“I’ve in adjusting well, everyone is very helpful and we all work together as a team,” Camacho said.

The students aren’t the only ones having to adjust to a new team. Roggemann is trying to adapt her different surroundings as well.

“I just moved to Texas so everything is a new adjustment for me but Cheer is the most comfortable adjustment,” Roggemann said. “The team and parents have been welcoming, supportive and patient as I learn my way around.”

With the help of her lead cheerleaders, Roggemann has been really focusing on the students to make sure everything works out.

“My captains and I meet regularly to discuss what is coming up and explain what has been done in the past. We talk about what we need to do to sure sure goals are met,” Roggemann said.

The most important aspect of the team, other than perfecting their moves, is the bond that’s created within the group, and how everyone fits in and becomes part of a team.

“Though the years I have stayed with cheer because of the atmosphere of becoming a family and achieving goals with my team. Each year I grow a more powerful passion for it,” Hertel said.

These cheerleaders have put their heart and soul into practicing to make it look good during their shows.

“I have been a cheerleader for eight years and have loved every minute of it. We practice around three or four times a week,” senior, Bridget Alvarez said.

Spending all of this time practicing and working on moves has had a huge positive effect on this team pulling them closer together, forming an unbreakable bond.  

cheer-final
Photo By Fuad Ajaz

“The bond on the team is great, we have to work together to make everything hit so it’s really good and everyone gets along well,” Camacho said.