Loved Bowie Teacher, Passed Away

Fuaad Ajaz, Editor-in-chief

On Sunday, July 24, AP environmental science teacher Nikki Vohl lost her life after a brave battle with brain cancer. Vohl was very popular on campus and got large amounts of love and support from her students and coworkers. Second sentence is an opinion.

Instructional coach Cindi Carroll and AP Biology teacher Jessica Davis along with other teachers and staff on campus were influenced by how strong Vohl was during her battle.

“Vohl was a very positive and healthy person. She always encouraged me to be healthier, to eat better, and to exercise more,” Carroll said. “I was really sad because there are many Bowie students she won’t be able to impact anymore. But she left a great legacy here on campus and she will always be loved.”

Davis was one of Vohl’s best friends and had known her for around 15 years and was devastated when she found out about what happened to Vohl.

“There was just so much sadness when I first found out she passed away,” Davis said. “She fought so hard and I wasn’t in town and that just broke my heart. I was on the road coming back towards Austin. I felt sad for her, and her family there was so much frustration because she did everything right. I know life isn’t fair all the time but in this case it was very unfair.”

Even on her toughest days Vohl always put on a smile and was always positive and looking for the better things in life and cherish the moments she had left.

“It’s been a rollercoaster it really brings perspective to my life but, it’s sad just really sad and not fair and if I wasn’t in a room full of kids all day I would probably lose it,” Vohl said last year. “It so not fair and it makes me think about not seeing my kids graduate, but it really sucks and it makes me appreciate what I have; I have a great job, I love to teach, I love kids, and what I have is really life changing.”