The process of getting a sports scholarship

Priscilla Diaz

With the sun shining brightly through cloudless days and flowers in full bloom, summer is just as close as the end of the school year. As graduation approaches, seniors have to decide which schools they want to attend in the fall. Another decision students have to make is how they are going to pay for their extended education. Many are able to pay the full cost of tuition, others refer to financial aid, and some are fortunate enough to receive scholarships.

There are many scholarships made available to students. Some are academic, others are given by race, ethnicity, gender, many are contributions from organizations or clubs the students participated in, and some are from family and friends. Another way to get a scholarship is by committing to play a sport for the time you attend that school. Many passionate Bowie athletes have made this commitment and have received scholarships.

“I’ve always known I wanted to play soccer in college,” senior Houston Baptist University commit Whitney Johnson said.

It takes extraordinary dedication and passion to commit to a school and play a sport for another four to six years in college, especially one that you’ve been playing your whole life.

“When you dedicate so much time and effort into something, it is easy to fall in love with the sport, the people, and the memories created by it,” Johnson said.

Johnson has been playing soccer for as long as she can remember and hasn’t gone a day without envisioning herself continuing to play in the future. She has been committed to this sport since the first time her foot touched a soccer ball.

“Even when I was a little girl, I always told everyone I want to play soccer as long as I possibly can,” Johnson said.

Being able to commit to a school before senior year is also a great accomplishment. Not only does it show dedication, but also passion and talent. Many students at Bowie have made commitments before senior year.

“I’m looking forward to continue my soccer career in college,” junior University of Mary Hardin-Baylor commit Emmalee McMaude said. “I’ve played soccer all my life and can’t wait to be playing at the next level.”

For some athletes, the sport they go on to play at the college level isn’t one they’ve been playing their whole lives. High school is a great place to try out new sports and potentially find talents you might have never known about otherwise.

“I started playing beach volleyball later than most,” senior Grand Canyon University commit Micaela Mirabal said. “I have been playing indoor volleyball for 6 years, but have only been playing beach competitively since my junior year.”

The amount of time you’ve been playing, however, does not influence how much you love the sport. It is easy to commit to do something for a long time when it’s something you enjoy, especially when you have a lot to look forward to.

“GCU’s beach volleyball team recently played in Hawaii, so I am really looking forward to traveling and competing around the country,” Mirabal said.

Travel is a huge link to the commitment of college sports and it is one of the parts that athletes really enjoy. Another thing athletes look forward to is bonding with their new team.

“I’m looking forward to making new friends in a new environment,” Johnson said. “I can’t wait to start making memories with the team and and playing 4 more years of the sport I love.”

Committing and getting a scholarship doesn’t come easy, though. It takes a lot of effort, dedication and determination.

“You must first make a list of all the colleges you have interest in,” Johnson said. “Then continuously send emails and make phone calls to get coaches to come watch you play and maintain contact to keep them interested in you.”

Many athletes have to make highlight videos, go on multiple college visits and play in recruiting tournaments. Not to mention, researching what colleges fit their standards and offer a good program for the major they’re looking at.

“The hardest part was finding the college that is right for me,” Mirabal said. “I received offers from schools on the east coast and in Texas, but I wanted to head west to go to school. I visited GCU and loved the campus.”

In the end, all the hard work, all the time and all the dedication pays off. Committing to a school makes way for you to play the sport you love, while simultaneously working towards a career.