Seeing Stars

A shift in political apathy?

Kamryn Bryce, Editor in Chief

Donald Trump is challenging the way millennials view politics.

In the past it seemed that the only people who were actually interested in the debates were people who kept up with politics in the same way that most Texans keep up with college football, the fanatics. While it’s not the first time in history that a wild card candidate sparked some tangible interest in youth voters, Trump’s use of social media, primarily Twitter, has created such an uproar with the younger generation they might actually vote in the upcoming election.

If Trump’s campaign were to be compared to say a horror film it be as such; in the beginning people were skeptical and yet brushed it off, there was no way he was serious or at least no way he was ever going to win, then debates took place and tweets were posted which sparked a bit of fear or for some, excitement, and now with inauguration day in sight we’ve got half of America thinking ‘I can’t watch, I can’t watch’ and the other half thinking ‘bring it on’.

America’s millennials (those born between 1982 and 2000) are notorious for a number of things; whether it’s our vast knowledge on the latest selfie craze, our overall acceptance and drive for change, or the fact that we have been dubbed the “me me me” generation, but just like any other age group of 18-25 year olds we seem to suffer from political apathy.

In an article featured in the Washington Post, written by Catherine Rampell, it is noted that only 19.9 percent of youth voters, voters between the ages of 18 and 25, voted in the 2012 presidential election. While the consequences of refusing or neglecting to vote are simple and concise, no vote no say, pinpointing why America’s youth are equally notorious for not showing up on election day as we are for being entitled, is what’s really crucial in making that change.

Yet we can’t solely blame the youth of our generation for a lack of political interest, for another article, “Non voters in America,” stated that around 40 percent of the American population as a whole did not vote in the 2012 election. Still, a significant portion of that is and has always been made up of that 18 through 25 age group.

Reason being? Simply put, we teenagers and college students are far too busy to get ourselves to the nearest Randall’s, too angsty to think our votes matter in the first place, and overall feel a disconnect and resentment towards the rest of America and ‘the man’ as we drown in college debt. To sum up, we tend to dish out the silent treatment in quiet protest of dealing with ‘big brother.’

Millennials make up the largest generation in the country, even greater in population size than those social security nabbing baby boomers, with 83.1 million according to the 2010 census. Yet, we also stand for the lowest voter age group turnout rate in the country. Think of the influence and power we could have if we just filled out a registration card and checked an electronic box. Share your opinion in a booth not in a subtweet.

It is suggested by recent articles that the reason young people don’t vote is due to the long line of candidates who make their promises and neglect to follow through when actually elected, or that young voters feel like none of the candidate options are worth voting for to begin with.

So why have millennials been predicted to speak up and surprise the ‘early bird special’ group of Americans in this upcoming election? It’s the same answer to the question of why we are never satisfied with the now: the power of the Internet and it’s bottomless chasm of knowledge all compacted into our precious Apple products, or rather through our exposure to social media we have become aware, more than ever, of the personal opinions and lives of the people running for our president, even more so than our elders who actually vote.

If a candidate says, posts, tweets, or whatever anything controversial, or should I say when, it’s the millennials, generation Y, who hear and react to it first. With that said it has been predicted that those sweet 80 year olds welcoming voters at the booths can be expecting a younger crowd, according to a matter-of-factually titled article featured in RedState, “Millennials + Election 2016: They’ll Be Voting.”

Therefore, when some generationist adult makes that age old statement, ‘young people don’t vote,’ let’s be saying ‘watch me.’

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 12.37.13 PM