Band director set to move to a new school at year’s end

Jasmine Correa

Band director Kim Shuttlesworth seen here winning TOY 2015. Shuttlesworth will leave Bowie at the end of the school year.

Lauren Blevins, Editor in Chief

Kim Shuttlesworth’s legacy will impact band members even after she is gone. The long time leader of the award-winning company has decided to move on to start a program at a brand new high school in the outskirts of north Austin.

“I have enjoyed my time at Bowie,” Shuttlesworth said. “I don’t know any work outside the walls here, and I wouldn’t trade those experiences for anything.  It will be hard to leave, but I hope that I left Bowie better than I came in; that is always the goal of an educator.”

Shuttlesworth has also left a positive impact on students beyond the band atmosphere.

“It’s not all of the musical aspects of band that will leave an impact, but the lessons that she and the other directors have taught us and as students we can carry with us passed high school,” junior Gianna Nuckols said.

Although it is tough to lose an impactful teacher, the band members hope Shuttlesworth can have the same affect on her new students.

“I was initially really sad to hear about Ms. Shuttlesworth leaving, because she has made such an amazing and huge impact on the band throughout the years,” senior Lauren Anderson said.  “ However, I know the band will carry on the high standards she put in place, and this is the perfect opportunity for her to expand her horizons as a teacher.”

With the great accomplishments of the band, hard work and dedication must come as well.

“The more successful they became, the harder myself and the staff had to work,” Shuttlesworth said.  “They make me a better teacher, but more importantly- they make me want to be the best version of myself daily.”

She would push her students to perform their best and that has helped the prosper into what it is today.

“The thing I will miss most about Ms. Shuttlesworth is her teaching methods,” senior Danny Cruz said.   “She was a specific teacher at Bowie that was able to keep you motivated throughout the whole season or school year. She would not point out your talents as much as she would point out your weaknesses. And by her doing this she would encourage us to keep working on the stuff that needed work, rather than the stuff that was in ‘pretty’ good shape.”

For Anderson, Shuttlesworth has taught her lessons that will carry on to things beyond the Bowie Band program.

“Ms. Shuttlesworth has not only pushed me to improve my music skills everyday, but she has taught me how to work for something bigger than myself,” Anderson said.  “ I will always be grateful for the lessons she provided us, and I know her dedication to the band program will continue to resonate within the students in the years to come.”

Through the numerous band trips, the program has created a bond that cannot be broken and Shuttlesworth was with them every step of the way.

“Some of the memories that I will always cherish with Ms. Shuttlesworth is the multiple band trips we have taken in the program, from performing at grand national championships in Indianapolis to touring London and performing in the New Years London parade,” Cruz said.

Junior band members will miss Shuttlesworth in their last year in the program.

“It’s hard to imagine senior year without her motivation, that is definitely one of the things I will miss about her,” Nuckols said.

Along with helping the music talents of Cruz, Shuttlesworth also helped with his family situations and get him through a hard time in his high school career.

“When I was a sophomore my mom was diagnosed with stage 2 Breast cancer and I was able to talk to Ms. Shuttlesworth about my situation and she was able to reassure me that she was there for me not only as a mentor, but also as a friend,” Cruz said.  “Since then I have been able to overcome many musical challenges I have come face to face with and will always remember the comfort and guidance Ms. Shuttlesworth was able to provide as an educator in the Bowie Band.”