Sophomore black belt fights her way to a top ranking

Shelby Kelly

Sophomore Lily Ang spins the staff in class as she practices and listens closley to what her coach has to say. Ang was a rank one black belt by the age of 15.

Sophomore Lily Ang tightens her belt before she picks up her staff to practice her bow fighting. She moves the hair from her eyes and her coach yells, they begin their first drill, the wooden rods click together.

Ang grips her sword tightly as she begins fight, “Drill 8” her instructor yells”, and everyone begins to swipe around. At the end of drill one she places the sword back in her sheath and waits as it rests on her black belt, sweat littering her forehead.

Ang practices every week to better herself as a person and as a confident self protecting woman. Ang has achieved one of the highest and sought after ranks at only age 15. She has been training at the Kuk Sool Won martial arts association since she was five.

“I am a first degree black belt in the World Kuk Sool Won Association, which is a Traditional South Korean martial arts system, and the only martial art South Korea recognizes as a traditional martial art,” Ang said. “We learn kicking and punching, takedowns, joint locks, pressure points, traditional forms, weapons, meditation, and formal etiquette. This can be taken as a PE class/credit as well.”

Black belt is one of the hardest levels to pass, instructor and co-owner of the studio Barbara King says that being a black belt is more than just the fabric.

“For the first few years of a student’s training, one line that is repeated over and over again the student’s goal is ‘black belt and beyond’,” King said. “Once you achieve that rank, it really represents more than just the belt you are wearing. It represents the years of training, endurance, stamina, fear, accomplishments, disappointments, perseverance, sweat, friendships, respect, self awareness, but most of all, it’s a goal that you have set for yourself and attained.”

Lily’s passion for KWS is ever strong and she continues to love it everytime she goes.

“My favorite things to study are weapons, like sword and staff. My favorite thing to compete in his takedown techniques,” Ang said.

Riley Murphy, a sophomore, also does KSW and is close to ranking up to black belt.

“KSW has taught me the importance of testing my limits and trying to push past them, bettering myself in body and spirit,”Murphy said. “It has taught me self respect and discipline, as well as a better understanding of the respect for others,”

To be a black belt a person has to be both physically and emotionallyready, Lily’s mom explains.

“A black belt is really just a person who doesn’t give up or quit. Anyone can become a black belt, if they have the determination to keep going when things get tough,” Alicia said.

Bella Cumminato is one of Lily’s closest friends and knows her passion, determination, and sentiment for martial arts.

“Lily’s involvement in martial arts is only one of the things in her life that drives her. Considering all of the time that it took for her to just get one black belt, along with the other activities that she does.,” Cumminato said.

Everyone around Lily realizes her determination to everything she does.

“I know Lily is very driven with academics and her sporting life too. She gives 150% to whatever she does and sets higher goals for herself in the martial arts,” King said.

Murphy is not surprised, considering Lily’s drive and passion, that she has already made it up to rank black belt.

“I’m not that surprised, because she is the type of person to start something with the intention of finishing it. I’m sure from the day she joined, she had planned on advancing as much as she possibly could,” Murphy said.

Lily has and plans to conquer many things in her life as her mom recognizes, even when it is difficult.

“She’s a very hard worker, I once saw her take a second degree test that required her to do over 400 push-ups,” Alicia said.

The Kuk Sool Won program is much more than just a work-out.

“Martial arts is very important to me. It has taught me patience and has made me stronger, both mentally and physically. Kuk Sool Won has been like a second family to me, and I have made many friends throughout the year,” Lily said.

Lily is in many activities, including volleyball, modeling, and choir (silver bells and NV2), and she still manages martial arts, it is special to her and important to continue.

“KWS is a big part of my life now. It helps me stay in shape, make friends, and have fun. I like to compete and win at tournaments, and hope to someday win grand champion in my age group,” Lily said.

Being involved in Kuk Sool is very important for the whole family, Alicia explains.

“Being in Kuk Sool together has brought our family closer. It’s fun to be in an activity that we can learn together. We encourage each other to keep going, even when it gets really hard,” Alicia said.

Having family involved in the same activity only drives Lily more to be better and to continue in her journey to become better.

“My parents and brother are all second degree black belts, and my parents are both instructors. Sometimes during demos, I get to demonstrate self-defense against my dad which can be really fun,” Lily said.

To many Lily just seems like a nice, humble, and harmless girl, but when you get to know her you learn that she can go through a lot, even through the toughest times, her instructor of 12 years explained.

“Lily is a lot tougher than you would think,” King said. “I’ve seen her get kicked to the ground repeatedly, then keep getting up to eventually win.  She’s a great role model for our little students.  They love her because she is sweet to them, but tough at the same time.”

Even though Lily doesn’t own up to it, to many she is an inspiration and role model. She has taught others through her drive and determination, friend Murphy explains.

“Lily has taught me that martial arts isn’t just about the physical training, but also the mentality and the friendships you make within. She was one of the first people that I came to know at KSW and we’ve been working together since,” Murphy said.

Even though it is rare at Lily’s age to become a black belt her instructor explains that considering the qualities of one, she has definitely earned it.

“It takes someone who is driven, motivated, and willing to put in the time and energy to reach a goal that takes many years to accomplish. A black belt is not just about the belt you wear around your waist, it’s the attitude and spirit you carry with you once you reach that goal, ” King said.