Lozano strives for equality for all

Samantha Knapp, Staff Writer

Miguel Lozano is striving to purue his acting career and believes that there is a lack of hispanic actors in both film and theatre and he wants to fix it. Being hispanic as well, Lozano connects to hispanic students and actors and wants to make the acting community a positive and equal place where everyone is welcome to be themselves.

Senior Miguel Lozano is a senior director, the president of the Starlight Theatre company and Bowie interp, as well as the director of “The Transition of Doodle Pequeno”, a children’s play created specifically for bilingual children of all ages.

“It’s quite an experience,” Lozano said. “The position I hold is one I’ve wanted since I first came in as a freshman. Seeing all the underclassmen look up to me and have the company members respect me is great.”

Lozano has had a great experience in the Starlight Theatre company, but that is not all that he wants to accomplish.

“I’m really striving to pursue my studies in acting and attempt to make an impact in the film world,” Lozano said. “I think that there’s a lack of Hispanic actors in both film and theatre, and I’d like to push for the change in diversity in both areas of acting.”

The Starlight Theatre company and Lozano came together to create something that kids can really connect to and enjoy, “The Transition of Doodle Pequeno”, a bilingual children’s play.

“I really enjoyed performing at the elementary schools,” Lozano said. “The kids were so fascinated and humored by the characters that the actors had developed. It was great to grasp their attention and get across a super important message about LGBT acceptance and bullying.”

Creating this play came with its struggles however, such as time constraint and a lot of stress on the director to get everything choreographed and put together to create a flawless show.

“It was a lot of work trying to prepare everything and direct a show Lozano said. From costumes, to set pieces, to blocking, it was quite stressful. The time restriction that was out on us definitely did not help either, but it was all worth it in the end.”

Although doing so many things outside of school can be very stressful, Lozano has a support system behind him that includes his girlfriend, senior Pauge Bradbury and friend, senior Tanner Berg that makes it all worth it.

“I always make it to his shows because it’s very important to me that he knows I support him in everything that he does,” Bradbury said.

This support system improves their friendship and brings them closer together in the end.

“Miguel is my best friend, regardless of what he does I’m gonna support him,” Berg said. “He’s a great guy and a great leader, and there’s never been a problem between us because he’s the president of the Starlight Theatre Company. Bottom line is that we respect each other too much to let something that minor get between us. I’m proud of him and I listen to him, that’s what friends do.”

Miguel’s theatre teacher Betsy Cornwell is also very supportive of what he has achieved and what he might achieve in the years after high school.

Miguel has always been an enthusiastic participant in academic theatre classes and productions,” Cornwell said. “I have often teased him about how slow he is to learn lines, but he always comes through eventually. He is a recognized leader of the department and a senior director to whom I can entrust younger students.”

Lozano has been a bright light in the Starlight Theatre company, making unforgettable memories and inspiring many people.

“Miguel is a great, outgoing person who cultivates friendships and positive working relationships with everyone,” theatre teacher Marco Bazan said. “it’s been a great experience for me just to be a part of his process these last four years. He’s not just a great actor, but a great human being. Since his freshman year, he’s always struck me as an amazing individual, and he loves Star Wars as much as I do, so that definitely has been a connection we have had”.

Lozano, Bradbury, and Jamie Godwin went to New York this year to audition for theatre programs in colleges.

“I’m hoping to get a theatre education in New York to make connections for four years so the transition from a student to a working actor isn’t as difficult,” Godwin said.

All three of them are auditioning for Fordham university and Lozano and Godwin are auditioning for NYU.

“I’ve been accepted into St. Ed’s and OCU and I am waiting on the other schools,” Bradbury said.

These audutions also require a lot of work that will hopefully lead to their dreams coming true in the end.

“It’s definitely been a lot of work. There’s a level of stress that comes with the auditions,” Godwin said. You have the standard application process with an audition one as well. A lot of the time there are extra essays, you have to prepare two monologues and travel across the country to audition with them, you also need head shots and a resume, it’s a good amount of extra stuff added onto schoolwork and extracurriculars.”

Lozano’s love for theatre and entertainment was started in an unexpected way.

“In 7th grade, some of my friends pushed me to take theatre because it was a super easy class, little middle school me thought that sounded great and I ended up falling in love with performing on stage,” Lozano said.

Being president and director in the Starlight Theatre company is a big step in Lozano’s theatre career and future, but has also been a difficult experience.

“My advice would be to enjoy the experience. It is a lot of hard work, but if you choose a show you’re passionate about, you’ll find yourself enjoying all the labor the show requires,” Lozano said.