Lock down procedures impact student learning and thoughts

Fuaad Ajaz, News Editor

On October, 30 the extreme weather conditions had a campus wide reverse lock down and not all students knew what was going on or what to do.

SRO officer Angelica Covington is one of the few people who conducts routine trips around the school on any lock down on campus.

“I would be addressing the threat and while I am looking for the threat I also would need to make sure all the students, staff, and the officers I’m with are safe, including me,” Covington said.

There are three different types of lock-downs: a reverse lock down, shelter in place, and an actual lock down.

“There are various scenarios if someone if on campus that is what we call a lock down where everyone would get into a room move away from doors and windows and stay quiet and hide,” assistant principal Larry Britton said. “If someone is near campus with a weapon or something we would have a reverse lock down or a shelter in place, and that means students have to be in class and keep them in the class and teachers would continue one with whatever they had planned for the day.”

Teachers know the safety precautions for a lock down but none of them have had self-defense training and junior Maura Evans would be more comfortable if teachers had self defense training.

“I would be much more comfortable with teachers having self-defense because if someone does come on the campus with a weapon I know my teacher can try to defend themselves,” Evans said.

There are two lock down drills a year, one during the fall semester and one during the spring semester.

“I would like to see at least two lock down drills a month just so students are ready if an actual intruder is on campus,” Covington said.

Not all lock downs are dealt with in the same way, each one is handled differently.

“It depends on the situation, you can’t say in this situation this is what you do it depends on the circumstances of what is happening,” Britton said. “All I can do is to make sure that I am calm first and that happens with all the training we are put through. Secondly, we would take direction from ADP, AISD police department, and law enforcement and we would also have to set us a command post that is either on or off campus.”