Vibes for Vohl and recovery make a strong come back

Fuaad Ajaz, News Editor

The annual Head for the Cure race which traditionally takes place at Camp Mabry, has been a three year tradition for AP environmental science teacher Nikki Vohl. Vohl was diagnosed with stage three brain cancer in 2014, and was only expected to live an estimated 18 months but has now passed that estimate and is at 24 months.

The planning for the race has already begun and Vohl is excited for her fourth year at this race.

“I have started my team Vibes for Vohl and I have a link on my website where people can sign up for the race,” Vohl said. “I will start talking about in February and so people can sign up.”

Senior Emily Kuster has grown extremely close to Vohl throughout her journey. Kuster helps Vohl with whatever she can help her with.

“I’ve not only had Mrs. Vohl as a teacher but I’m also a close family friend of hers,” Kuster said. “I help her with grading and filling and also help her by babysitting her kids. Also I am her daughter’s pal at Cowan.”

After chemo some people start feeling better but with Vohl it was the complete opposite.

“I actually feel worst than I ever have, I am just going day by day trying to make it,” Vohl said. “Coming to school helps me because I get distracted, being with people, doing things, and not thinking about it. Because it is really depressing to think about and knowing I am sick makes it even worse.”

Since Vohl’s health is not too good right now the science teachers are helping her out by going through this tough roller coaster ride with her.

“We try to go on walks during our off period to help her keep her strength up, we do dinner rotations where we take her dinners, and we have recently started to giver her rides to places,” AP biology teacher Jessica Davis said.      

The last time Kuster participated in the Head for the Cure was her sophomore year and this year she is hoping to run in it again.

“My sophomore year was when I last participated in the race and then I am definitely hoping to do it again this year,” Kuster said.

Davis has been friends with Vohl for about 15 years and has been right by Vohl’s side throughout her journey.

“We both used to work together in a biotechnology company together and just seeing this happen to her is frustrating because she’s just such a great person,” Davis said. “Although she does not think of herself as strong and just thinks she is doing what she has to do but to everyone else she is very strong  

Vohl has her days where she feels great and days she just feels horrible but always thinks happy thoughts when those bad feelings come back.

“This journey has been a roller coaster it brings perspective to my life but you know it’s sad just really sad and it’s really not fair,” Vohl said. “It really makes me think about not seeing my kids graduate it really sucks but it makes me glad for what I have. I love to teach, I love kids but this thing is life changing it sucks you would never think it would happen to you and it does.”

Looking over her hardships Vohl has made it through a hard fight and continues to fight on and waits for her team “Vibes for Vohl” to walk in  Head for the Cure.