Sophomores, straight ‘outta driver’s ed

Gavin Farner, Staff Writer

New sophomores dealing with school, friends, and parents shouldn’t also have to deal with the new stress of driving.

I think that most sophomores are not ready to be on the road even if they have completed the necessary requirements to be on the road. I believe that some drivers are not mature enough to be on the road and abide by all the rules.

There is a law that everyone knows, the law against pulling out your phone unless you’re at a stop. Even though this law is in effect I have seen people on their phones while driving, mostly younger, new drivers.

Many new drivers also don’t realize that they are going over or under the speed limit because they aren’t paying attention to that while driving.  

People that can drive will want to drive their friends that don’t have a car but want to go somewhere.  Driving instructors say to not have distractions in the car when you’re learning to drive or right after you have gotten your license.

Many new drivers also need to have a parent or adult in the car because they only have a permit. These super new drivers are a hazard to drivers that aren’t new to driving.

Others may tell the new drivers that driving with an adult is plenty safe to be on the road. But I know many parents that are absent-minded enough to miss things that others wouldn’t. Even worse would be parents that don’t even pay attention to their child while they drive.

I believe that there should be a separate place that new drivers have to go to be picked up if they are going to be driving or a place that they will go to drive into that goes to the parking lot.

Maybe there should be something sophomore drivers should have on their back window that tells other drivers that they should use caution while driving near them because they have just gotten their driver’s license.

New driving sophomores should have more time behind the wheel before being put into an actual driving experience with other drivers, especially in Texas where traffic is so bad.