Girls basketball thrives through the seasons challenges

Greyson Hughes, Staff Writer

The girls varsity basketball team is almost halfway through their season, with a current 11-4 record, and there are more games to win. They plan to finish off the season strongly.

“Health is always the unpredictable ‘x’ factor,” Vickie Benson said. “If we can stay healthy, we have a really good chance to be playing excellent basketball in January and February.”

With an increase in mold lately players are concerned that it could affect their future games.

Teamwork is the most important thing for getting the job done, everyone contributes and everyone works well, sometimes they won’t and nothing will get done, that’s why it’s important that the girls get along very well or they will lose more often.

“The team has an amazing chemistry. We are like a big family and the most close-knit team I’ve ever been a part of,” Amber Lotz said. “We have team bonding outside of school whenever we can and just love to constantly be around one another which isn’t true for a lot of teams.”

A team’s chemistry is an important factor of success, finals starting on December 15th hopefully will not change the basketball schedule.

With so many games to prepare for and so little hours in the day the girls are preparing for Westlake although it may be a hard game the coach sees effort in the team.

“Our team has been playing really well lately, but we definitely haven’t reached our full potential,” Kianna Ray said. “We have developed in so many areas, but of course, there’s always things to work on. Our team is good at learning from the past.”

So far this season the girls have a record of 11-4 and the players practice for their upcoming game against Westlake.

One of the most important things for the team is the school support. The students, teachers, and parents are constantly encouraging the girls to grow and play hard and also giving them a reason to play.

“That’s what I love about the team, everyone wants to play so they compete and don’t slack off,” Lotz said. “Coach gives us multiple chances to prove ourselves and that’s what I love. If you mess up you just have to work hard and make up for it.”

The coach’s effort to towards the team is helping push the girls to many wins in the future. The girls love the team and they are joyful towards each other and all the support and hopefully nobody will get sick and it will be a great season. The varsity girls are playing Westlake on the 11th of December and Benson has confidence in them.

“The team does not cheat on effort,” Benson said. “They understand the value and importance of giving it their all.”

The coaches are preparing the girls for the Westlake game that is said to be one of the hardest games.