Senior fights a life-long disease with no sign of a cure

Violet Glenewinkel, Student Life Editor

A simple prick of the finger or injection, done five times a day, can determine the well-being of a patient with type one diabetes.

Senior Katy Jacobs was diagnosed years ago at an unusual young age that, to this day, affects her everyday life.

“Initially, I didn’t really understand what was happening,” Jacobs said. “Once I got to the hospital and they started sticking me with needles which was when I got really scared and upset.”

Type one is rare, only 5% of the population being diagnosed with it, and symptoms usually occur when people are in their twenties. For Jacobs, things were different.

“A virus attacked my immune system and attacked the cells in my body that make insulin, causing my pancreas to shut down,” Jacobs said.

Insulin is a specific hormone that gets rid of sugar in your bloodstream, but the absence of it forces Jacobs to take daily health procedures.

“I have to use synthetic insulin, which I take through an insulin pump, sort of like an IV in my stomach,” Jacobs said. “I have to manually enter my blood sugar levels and the amount of carbohydrates I had.”

It took Jacobs a while to learn how to care for herself after the diagnosis.

“I had to learn how to count carbs, test my blood sugar, and give myself the proper doses of insulin,” Jacobs said.

Right from the start, Jacobs’s family gave her support and guidance.

“My family had to make some big adjustments and learn about the disease like I did,” Jacobs said. “They have been there at all of my appointments and I am so grateful for them.”

Jacobs has received different responses about her disease from friends, the most common emotion being confusion.

“I found out because she just randomly stuck a needle in her side and I was totally shocked and kind of afraid to ask what she was doing,” senior Bryn Williams said.

After six years by Jacobs’s side, Williams has gotten used to her dealing with the diabetes.

“I’ve known her for about six years now so I’ve seen the worst and I’ve been there through her changing from insulin injections through needles to the pump this last year,” Williams said.

The strength Jacobs acquires is evident in how she deals with her disease.

“The fact that she can not only live life beyond how others choose to, but also make light of her situation is so amazing to me,” Williams said.

She has gone to lengths of inspiring others like Williams with her attitude.

“If she can deal with diabetes all day, everyday, and go above and beyond in life, I think anything is possible for someone like me,” Williams said.

Seeing the effects the disease takes on Jacobs is what Williams really remembers.

“It’s really hard to watch because you can’t really help the problem, just be there for her,” Williams said.

Even though it’s a consistent thing, Jacobs acts as if the diabetes isn’t even there nor complains of it.

“She hardly ever complains about the hardships that it brings her, which is what makes her so strong,” Williams said. “She is one of those people who is so outgoing and strong that you would never know she had diabetes until she told you.”

Jacobs isn’t afraid to inform people of her disease either.

“She’s really open to explaining it to people who don’t understand,” Williams said.

Friends like senior Summer Hawkins have been looking out for her since elementary school.

“In elementary and middle school I was always her ‘buddy’ to accompany her to the nurse when her blood sugar was low,” Hawkins said.

To this day, Jacobs’s peers take precautions with her.

“I look out for her a little bit more than others I would say, but that is mainly just because I want to make sure she stays healthy,” Hawkins said.

Before Jacobs was diagnosed, there were tell-tale signs of what was going on with her health.

“I lost an extreme amount of weight which is a major sign for type one diabetes, I was only in second grade so I shouldn’t have been losing weight that fast,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs has to keep her blood sugar perfect or symptoms will begin to show in her health and behavior.

“When my blood sugar gets too low I feel really dizzy and hungry,” Jacobs said. “And when it’s high I get really sleepy, hot, and thirsty.”

These symptoms may seem minor but they can lead to more drastic measures.

“My diabetes can often spike out of control which makes me feel really sick and I have to miss school,” Jacobs said.

According to Jacobs father, Gary Jacobs, there is no history of diabetes in their family.

“It was totally unexpected, a shock, out of the blue,” Gary said. “We felt so bad for Katy, this little girl who was now going to have to deal with this disease for the rest of her life.”

After ten years of dealing with the disease, there were moments of stress that Katy experienced.

“Early on, she had moments when she would break down,” Gary said. “I think she was sad for herself and angry at the universe and who can blame her?”

But breakdowns and doubts were a rarity.

“Katy took control of her diabetes, pricking her finger to test her blood and giving herself insulin injections multiple times a day,” Gary said. “I’m an adult and I would have a hard time doing that.”

To be safe, some of Katy’s good friends have needed to learn about emergency procedures involving her blood sugar levels.

“On occasion we have instructed her friends how to administer a glucagon shot in case of an emergency,” Gary said.

Both of Katy’s parents gave her hope to hold onto.

“We explained to Katy that while it was an unfortunate break that she had diabetes, it was a controllable condition that need not keep her from a normal life,” Gary said.

Katy has been able to keep a positive outlook on her situation.

“It might be a life threatening disease, but it has taught me many lessons that I am very grateful for,” Katy said.

To her, the disease is something that must be taken care of like an everyday, normal thing and others who have diabetes should do the same.

“Look at your disease as nothing more than brushing your teeth,” Katy said. “You don’t want to do it all the time, but if you don’t take care of it, it will only hurt you in the long run.”

Katy advises to keep moving forward through the struggles.

“Keep your head high, there might be some days where you feel like you can’t handle it, but trust me you can,” Katy said.