Halloween festivities celebrate the spookiness in everyone

Violet Glenwinkel, Student Life Editor

Carved pumpkins line people’s doorsteps, creepy witches and spiders are in the lawns, and bags are filled with sweets; all this means one thing: Halloween is here.

The holiday is a time for students to go out and have fun with their friends while wearing funny costumes, even if they are put together last minute.

“I prefer going out on holidays,” freshman Luke Evans said.  “I really like spending time with large groups of people.  I went as a lifeguard because I couldn’t find a costume and my siblings are lifeguards, so I just stole their stuff.”

However, for sophomore Caroline Garcia, she was at a band competition for Bands of America (BOA) in San Antonio for the super regional.   Some students prepare months in advance for their costume, but others get them last minute.

“I didn’t take very many preparations for the holiday this year, but I was very excited nonetheless,” freshman Reagan Wallace said.

“I celebrated Halloween this year with a lot of my friends though, and we are all so close it seems like we are practically family,” Garcia said.  “My experience with the band on Halloween was great, even though we had to be serious and focused because it was one of our biggest competitions of the year, everyone had a great time. The whole band was playing jokes and everyone brought Halloween candy. And people wore Halloween makeup and we got to watch some movies on the way to the competition.”

Even though the band is at a competition the day of the holiday, they still celebrate by having a tradition of trunk or treating.

“It’s a way our parents and supporters of the band want to give back to the kids in the organization to give us a Halloween because we never get one of our own,” Garcia said.  “What they do is they set up booths and stations that they decorate almost as if we have mini haunted houses and they pass out all different candy and treats. We also have Halloween photo booths and games to play. It’s as if we get our own little Halloween celebration.”

Unfortunately, as students grow older, they tend to not go trick or treating anymore according to Wallace.

“When it comes to Halloween, I think parties are becoming more preferable rather than the traditional Trick-or-Treating,” Wallace said.  “This might be because people, especially ones my age, would rather just buy candy from the store and dress in ridiculous clothing and hang out with their pals.”