Youth navigate the world of activism
Youth navigate the world of activism
Elizabeth Yowell, In-Depth Editor • May 23, 2024

Sweaty from the fires lit under their feet, thousands of passionate students roar through the streets, shaking the ground they march on. A 17-year-old high school junior pulls out their phone to record,...

Bill 17 bans DEI offices on campuses
Bill 17 bans DEI offices on campuses
Savannah Riggins, News Editor • May 22, 2024

On June 17, 2023 Texas Senate Bill 17 was passed. Following it’s passage, the impact of Texas Senate Bill 17 is reverberating throughout the state’s educational landscape, promoting a wave of reactions...

Students struggle to keep up with all of the homework teachers assign

Alex Edwards

For many students, having daily homework isn’t unusual. Teachers give homework to allow practice time over previous lessons. But, with eight different classes, students may feel overloaded with the amount of homework assigned.

I believe that teachers shouldn’t assign homework and any additional practice should be optional for kids who want it.

With eight classes that are 90 minutes each, it should be enough time for teachers to teach their lessons and let the students practice during class. If students don’t feel confident enough in their work they should have the option to take home practice but not for a grade.

Homework causes students to stay up late to finish their work resulting in a messed up sleep schedule. If they don’t sleep well, it can cause them the struggle of not being able to comprehend their lessons for the next day, piling up even more homework.

Researchers with the U.S. News took a survey showing that less than 9% of students get enough sleep. One reason for this is students are staying up way later than they should to finish what the teachers have assigned for homework.

The Stanford News also took a survey that showed 56% of students considered homework a primary source of stress and less than 1% said that it is not a stressor. They found that too much homework can negatively affect students, especially their lives away from school.

Students already have to go to school eight hours a day. When they come home, some may have extracurricular activities, clubs, or groups they need to attend and don’t have time to finish their homework. Even for those who don’t have anything after school, it is still important to take a break so they’re fully prepared for the next day.

One way to fix this problem is having teachers set a specific schedule for each of their classes that will give the students enough time to be able to practice what was just taught to them and leave the class with no homework. It will give the students a chance to feel relieved and take a break from school.

It is understandable how students and teachers may think homework is crucial to getting good grades and actually understanding the material but mental health and taking care of yourself is a lot more important.

Overall, teachers should not give out homework. It adds unnecessary stress to students’ daily lives. It affects them in many negative ways adding to their workload. Bowie can be the start of a new and improved work environment.