CROWED SPACES: Students pour into the fine arts hall every day, and every day they walk past the newly installed mural. The new focal point of the hallway and transforming the steal and cold corridor into a piece of artwork. “I am always trying to improve my style whether that is changing the alphabet I have on rotation for a fresher look,” Horner said. “Or perfecting a personalized palette are ways that I am to continue growing as an artist.”
Dull to colorful with new murals
Emerson Traugott, Executive Editor: News • April 26, 2024

Bristles brush against the wall as advanced art students place the finishing touches on the mural in the newly modernized fine arts building. A vibrate extension of artistic possibilities within the fine...

Should College be free?

Tarin Scannell

Should college cost money? Many students face barriers as they struggle to afford the many college expenses. Many students face massive barriers as they struggle to afford college.Colleges on average range from $26,000 to over $100,000 per year .

I think college should be free. As the economy grows, college tuition does as well. For many, the burden of tuition affects their educational opportunities. Education is one of the most important tools for future workers of the world; and should be an option for everyone.

According to Education.data.org, in the last 20 years tuition has increased around 12%. Inflation is the biggest reason for this. While state-level leaders  make cuts and add expenses they increase costs in order to make that money up. This results in higher tuition and college fees. As a result the average student debt is around $28,000.

If colleges were to be free; this would reduce student loan debt tremendously. No student should be buried in debt as soon as they leave college. Many jobs require people with college degrees. With the high costs of college, this isn’t a choice for everybody. Forcing people to take out loans and work for scholarships to be able to get this privilege isn’t fair..   

Free college would allow students the chance to learn and achieve through their passions, in a budget friendly way. Providing this option would give students the ability to more openly go after their ambitions. Numerous people would see college as a new-found possibility for their futures ,rather than a helpful but debt-consuming option.

Creating free schooling would lower social-economic and wealth gaps. Wealth gaps are the difference in total assets between racial and ethnic groups. Not giving all income people the chance to have the same opportunity creates these wealth gaps. College being free would give all people the chance to pursue their chosen field. With college being insanely expensive it makes it easier for wealthy people to be able to afford it, less fortunate people can’t afford it; losing this opportunity. 

Making college free is a great start. To further the chance of affording college, scholarships should be more accessible for all students. As many students aren’t star athletes or involved in a club, they often lose out on scholarship money. 

Getting into college should be based on your knowledge and passion for your career, not based on if you can afford it or not. With high tuition and additional academic fees, it makes it harder and harder for underprivileged and average students to attend. Free college would permit a more wide spread majority to take part in the college experience.