CROWED SPACES: Students pour into the fine arts hall every day, and every day they walk past the newly installed mural. The new focal point of the hallway and transforming the steal and cold corridor into a piece of artwork. “I am always trying to improve my style whether that is changing the alphabet I have on rotation for a fresher look,” Horner said. “Or perfecting a personalized palette are ways that I am to continue growing as an artist.”
Dull to colorful with new murals
Emerson Traugott, Executive Editor: News • April 26, 2024

Bristles brush against the wall as advanced art students place the finishing touches on the mural in the newly modernized fine arts building. A vibrate extension of artistic possibilities within the fine...

Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Mazzy Warren, Editor-in-Chief • April 25, 2024

The quest for the greatest matcha in downtown Austin

Val Tikhonova
TAKING ORDERS: Baristas at Merit Coffee take orders from behind the bar. The restaurant has an extensive menu to order from

By definition from Merriam-Webster.com, matcha is a finely ground powder made from green tea leaves. People consume it by dissolving it in hot water.

I reviewed Jo’s Coffee on 1300 South Congress Avenue, Medici Roasting on 1100 South Lamar Boulevard, Radio Coffee and Beer on 4204 Manchaca Road, and Merit Coffee on 1105 South Lamar Boulevard. At each of these locations, I ordered an iced matcha with oat milk and Simple Sweetener.

Jo’s Coffee’s opened in 1999 and they are famous for hosting concerts, chili cook-offs, and fundraisers.

One thing I’ve noticed when drinking matcha is that the oat milk completely overpowers the matcha’s earthy flavor. However, I get that when drinking Jo’s Coffee’s matcha. It seems like they used an adequate amount of matcha powder per cup of oat milk. 

The cup had a regular amount of ice, was blended to perfection, and had the right amount of sweetness. To my surprise, I paid $8 for 16 ounces of matcha, which is extremely overpriced. Even though the matcha on its own was good, it wasn’t worth it. The next place I visited was Radio Coffee and Beer. This shop consists of a main coffee shop, a bar, a large outdoor seating area, and three food trucks.

Their matcha was very bland, was served with no sweetener, and tasted entirely like milk. It’s not awful if you want something to drink while eating, but it’s not enjoyable on its own. The drink was on the cheap side, as it only cost $4 but it didn’t taste the best and I wouldn’t recommend Radio Coffee and Beer if you specifically want matcha.

The next place I reviewed was Medici Roasting. This shop has six locations around Austin and they opened their first location in 2006.  

The interior of the shop is dimly lit, has limited seating, and has a barista station in the center of the room. Medici Roasting serves their matcha in 14 and 16-ounce plastic cups. Even though their cups are on the small, they do add a lot of ice compared to the liquid in the cup. 

The price of a 14-ounce drink is $6, which is extremely overpriced considering more than half of the cup is ice. I don’t recommend this matcha if you want a fair price.

Lastly, I went to Merit Coffee. This shop opened its first store in 2009 and since then has built multiple stores around the Austin area.

Merit is a house-style cafe. The matcha they made had a nuttier taste, I personally preferred that. They use California oat milk, and I believe that the difference in taste is due to this milk. 

Their matcha has a nuttier taste that I preferred over all the other matchas’ I tasted. The cup was larger and had less ice than Medici Roasting’s matcha. I prefer Merit Coffee’s matcha because the matcha was $6, the cup was larger than Medici Roasting’s, and it had a better taste.

Merit Coffee’s matcha took the cake because of their fair pricing and unique flavor.