WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Try a brilliantly baked crepe at Lamar Boulevard bakery

Val Tikhonova
BEHIND THE COUNTER: Crepe Crazy employees smile behind the register. The bakery has an open kitchen their employees to move freely.

Crepe Crazy is a restaurant that specializes in gourmet and sweet crepes in South Austin, with a location on Lamar Boulevard. The restaurant was opened by a married couple, Vladimir and Inna Giterman, from Ukraine and Russia. 

Their two children have hearing loss, which inspired them to come to Austin. The family wanted to open a restaurant that was mainly operated and managed by people who had impaired hearing, due to the children having trouble getting jobs. This allows for an inclusive and supportive environment for customers with hearing loss, but it is also a great place to eat for anyone who wants to try an interesting and tasty crepe.

On Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday, Crepe Crazy is open from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the restaurant is open from 9:00 a.m to 8:00 p.m. The parking was surprisingly pleasant, considering Crepe Crazy is located in the hustle and bustle of downtown Austin. There is a parking garage directly behind the restaurant, as well as a parking lot adjacent to the building.

As you walk into the establishment, you are met with an extensive menu written on chalkboards on the right wall. The menu consists of “sweet,” “savory,” and “kiddy” crepes. The menu also showcases the restaurant’s soups, salads, sandwiches, bagels, and croissants. In regards to drinks, Crepe Crazy has many coffees, smoothies, and juices. 

In regards to customer service, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, but don’t know American Sign Language, you can write down your thoughts on your phone or on a board provided for you. When I visited, I wanted extra half-and-half cream for my drink, so I wrote on the board what I wanted, showed it to the employee, and they kindly handed me what I asked for.

I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant, as there was faint calming music playing in the background and soft natural lighting provided by the large windows. There were plenty of tables both inside and outside of the building; the outside seating was covered by roofs and there was pleasant music playing outside as well. I was lucky, because I went on a Sunday and there weren’t many people in the area.

There were many options, but I ordered the Nutella Royale, the Chicken Basil Pesto, and the Sweet Cheese Delight. It took about ten minutes for all of the crepes to come out of the kitchen, served on paper plates.

The first crepe I tried was the Nutella Royale. This treat was filled with Nutella, drizzled in chocolate, and topped with powdered sugar and whipped cream. It was one of the smaller crepes on the menu, and it cost $7.49, but it was still sufficient in proportions. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the Nutella Royale.

The next crepe I tried was the Chicken Basil Pesto. It had a savory flavor, and it contained chicken, cheese, pesto, and onions. This crepe also comes with a salad on the side. The crepe itself was bigger than I anticipated, and it came with a charge of $12. Overall, I liked the Chicken Basil Pesto crepe, as it was perfectly flavored, and didn’t need any extra salt or pepper.

The last crepe I tried was the Sweet Cheese Delight, which cost $9.50. It is a sweet crepe stuffed with sweet cheese, strawberries, and raspberry coulis, and is topped with whipped cream and powdered sugar. This crepe was my personal favorite, and it also appeared to be a customer favorite as well. The Sweet Cheese Delight doesn’t need anything to enhance its delicious flavor, it is perfect on its own.

In terms of drinks, I had no complaints. The latte was a perfect mix of coffee, cream, and caramel. However, if you don’t enjoy sweet coffees, I recommend ordering an espresso or Americano instead. The smoothies at Crepe Crazy are made with fresh fruits, and they are definitely worth trying out. I recommend the Strawberry and Banana Smoothie, as the flavor profile is both sugary and fruity. 

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Crepe Crazy, as the staff was extremely kind and helpful, and every item I tried tasted amazing.

I would recommend this hidden gem on Lamar to anyone because, at Crepe Crazy, there is guaranteed to be a delicious crepe for everyone.