In the new online PSAT and SATs, the time to complete the tests have been shortened, but both previously separate math sections are now combined and a built-in calculator is always available.
Students and staff prepare for College Board changes
Alec Morse, Dispatch Reporter • February 22, 2024

Testing is a vital part of education and is used to show that you understand the subject. Test scores are also used by colleges to choose who they accept. Because of this, streamlining the testing process...

SOARING THROUGH THE SKY: A family enjoys their day out with their children at Cosmos Coffee. Even though Cosmic Coffee serves alcohol, this coffee shop is very family friendly for a perfect day.
Perfect Jitterbug Getaway at Cosmic Coffee
Fiona Padalino, Dispatch Reporter • February 21, 2024

Are you ever looking for that perfect shot of energy to help you throughout the day, but you just can’t find the right place? Well, I am here to help you quench that yearning for the perfect coffee drink....

Juniors win directing awards

William Balke
Theater students rehearsing lines together during class. They are learning these lines for an upcoming film project they are working on.

Every year, the theater program creates many different works spanning multiple kinds of formats, challenging students and pushing them and make something special that they can call their own. As the theater program continued to create these projects throughout the year, two students took it upon themselves to fully self-direct projects, during their film unit, which went on to win notable awards.

Juniors Tess Neilsen and Nate Motes both won Best Director awards for their films created with the theater program. Winning an award like this gives recognition to the work and dedication that a student director put into creating their film.

“It really was a memorable moment because it made me realize, this is what I want to do,” Motes said. “It was like a click moment for majoring in film, a way of making me believe I can do this.”

Students working on these projects were challenged by their teacher Matthew Humphrey to give their work a personal touch as the director to help their work stand out among other short films created.

“I’m super proud of both of them,” Humphrey said. “They both worked so hard on their films and really deserve these awards.”

Both Nielson and Motes found creating their own work to have its difficulties, however, they persevered in order to create work they were proud of.

“Winning this award was really cool, I think it validated what I did a lot,” Nielsen said. “We had to fully direct a small project completely on our own, and it was really nice just being able to make it how I wanted.”

When pursuing a career in film, any recognition received for creative works goes a long way, especially when making something that colleges or employers will see.

“Winning an award like this really gives you something for a good resume and a portfolio, because it’s really good to create things and just build that portfolio up,” Motes said. “I’m actually making something with my friends right now to also try and build up my portfolio before sending it off to colleges.”

As the students are the creators of the projects, the majority of the praise and recognition has gone to them individually, rather than the entire theater program.

“It’s been more focused on the individual rather than UIL or just the Bowie Starlight program as a whole,” Motes said. “It definitely could bring some recognition to Bowie but this award is more for us, the students.”