In the new online PSAT and SATs, the time to complete the tests have been shortened, but both previously separate math sections are now combined and a built-in calculator is always available.
Students and staff prepare for College Board changes
Alec Morse, Dispatch Reporter • February 22, 2024

Testing is a vital part of education and is used to show that you understand the subject. Test scores are also used by colleges to choose who they accept. Because of this, streamlining the testing process...

SOARING THROUGH THE SKY: A family enjoys their day out with their children at Cosmos Coffee. Even though Cosmic Coffee serves alcohol, this coffee shop is very family friendly for a perfect day.
Perfect Jitterbug Getaway at Cosmic Coffee
Fiona Padalino, Dispatch Reporter • February 21, 2024

Are you ever looking for that perfect shot of energy to help you throughout the day, but you just can’t find the right place? Well, I am here to help you quench that yearning for the perfect coffee drink....

Entrepeneurship class plans to open school store

Alec Morse
Entrepreneurship teacher Wendy Thomson teaches a lesson on market research. This is her first year teaching the class at Bowie.

Beginning this school year the entrepreneurship program, established and taught by Wendy Thomson, teaches students how to research, develop, and market products, with the goal of each student launching their own product for sale. This year, their first big project is opening a school store.

Students in the Entrepreneurship 1 class are currently in the research and planning phase of the development of a school store. The store is set to open next fall, in part to align with the football season. It will be available both on campus and at stadiums during sports games.

“Our lesson today was on market research to do the feasibility,” Thomson said. “How much money are we missing out on because we don’t have a school store, and then what products would be key products.”

Thomson speaks to groups about their research. This involves studying the success of other schools’ stores. (Alec Morse)

The class is studying the success of stores at different schools, as well as trying to meet the demands of students. Things like school supplies, mechanical pencils, and spirit wear will all be considered for the product pool.

“If you want to buy a hoodie or a sweatshirt or a shirt, there’s no place to do it here,” Thomson said. “We would like it to be mobile so that it could be in the courtyard during the week and then could go to Burger Stadium.”

The entrepreneurship class will work with other programs to source some of the products being sold. Senior Julian Whitby intends to stay behind the scenes on logistics like the sales pitch, and not be one of the students staffing the store.

“I think we’re gonna be collaborating with other classes like graphic design to come up with products ourselves,” Whitby said. “[The profits] will probably go back into our program, our spirit wear, and making more products.”

Working on the school store prepares each entrepreneur to create their own products in the future by providing experience in gathering and analyzing data, producing products, and marketing for maximum sales. Senior Patrick Thomas joined entrepreneurship after taking money matters.

“I’m taking entrepreneurship because I want to start my own business when I get older,” Thomas said. “This is a good baseline, and learning the fundamentals now is a great way to start off.”

Entrepreneurship 1 students plan the development of a school store. Some of these students will staff the store when it opens next fall.
(Alec Morse)